Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail.app keeps multiple copies in Draft and does not delete after send

I have just recently noticed this problem and it seems to be getting worse. I am on Mountain Lion 10.8.1 and I'm using an exchange server (2010) email account.

I do not recall this problem being this bad in Lion. When I save a draft go back into it, make changes, it saves a bunch of copies. I just deleted about 30 emails from one draft.

The 2nd issue is it does not leave the draft folder when I actually send, so it appears I never sent it, but I did. This is extremely frustrating and not efficient. I use Mail for my business email and all my personal emails as well, but mainly business.

I don't like Outlook for Mac (too slow), and I really don't like Mail for Mac either since my contacts and calendar are all in different apps.

Does anyone have a solution for the DRAFTS folder issues and/or can you recommend another e-mail client that is better. Outlook 2011 for Mac is just too slow, the beach ball is always showing when I try to use Outlook. And I really prefer not to have to go back to Windows Outlook through Parallels. I can manage with Mail.app if I could resolve this Drafts issue. I save emails all day long so to double check each one to see if I actually sent it is too time consuming.

I'm running on a Macbook Pro, 2.2 Ghz Intel Core i7, 8 GB memory.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 9:43 AM

9 replies

Sep 23, 2012 6:47 AM in response to ke715

I have the same 2 issue, using Mail on an Exchange server. The only solution I have found is to NOT store draft messages on the server. That works for me, so it might be worth for you to try it. It is unfortunate not to be able to save a draft and return to it on another device. If anyone has another solution, I very much forward to reading it!

Thanks in advance.

Feb 2, 2013 7:01 PM in response to ke715

I am too having the same issue. While working on Snow Leopard Mail app was working fine, bue te moment I upgraded to Lion OS, I began to see some mail laying around my draft folder. I thought they never left, but make a few call I found everyone was receiving my email, but for some strage reason, a copy stayed in drafts. I submitted this bug to Apple, and they actually told me they were aware of this issue and they were working on that. A year went by and we received Mountalion OS, and my iMac with Lion OS still has this issue. They never solved that. Now I am with this new iMac at home and and I am fighting myself not to use Mail app because, as far as I can see, the problme persist on Mountain Lion. So now, at this very moment I will give a try to PostBox (http://www.postbox-inc.com/)

My bussiness mail is mounted on Google apps, so I hope this works

Mar 5, 2013 12:12 PM in response to ke715

I have the same problem.

Apple seem to be letting themselves down by not fixing such simple problems.

If I wanted a bad user experience I would have bought a PC.

turning off "Store draft messages on the server" worked for me.

But this is not a solution it is a workaround, and not a very good one.
There is no reason why the drafts cannot sync like every other folder

Nov 27, 2013 2:42 PM in response to Eric Root

Well seems there is some big bug here.

From Mail>Preferences>Accounts if I choose Gmail and unckeck "Store draft...server" and try to save, it actually doesn't save!

Strangely, if from the left panel I choose Gmail > right click to see "Get Account Info" there the "Store draft...server" is unckecked!

Has anyone else noticed this?

Apple chaps! Please get this sorted with the Gmail IMAP settings.

Mail.app keeps multiple copies in Draft and does not delete after send

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.