Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backups taking up storage space

Hi

I have an 20-inch Intel (Mid 2007) iMac with an external drive - I recently checked the storage in the About This Mac section and found that there is 663.48GB being used as "backup" (see screen grab below) despite not ever having used TimeMachine! Can anyone please let me know how to reclaim this disk space? I have read a lot of posts on this subject but none seem to bear any relation to my specific issue. Hope you can help!

Regards

Alan

User uploaded file

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 11:08 AM

10 replies

Sep 16, 2012 11:45 AM in response to The End

The WD MyBook, especially if not the special "Mac Edition" probably came with and installed third-party backup software. Launch Activity Monitor (Applications > Utilities) and see if a process with "mimeo" is in the active process list. To find it, you'll probably need to change AM's default "Show" seeting from teh defaulte of "My Processes" to "All Processes.' Not sure about 10.7 but, in 10.6, the "show" option is in the top part of the AM window:

User uploaded file

Backups taking up storage space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.