Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.6.8 login screen blocked

Hi,

MbPro, 10.6.8 Snow Leopard -

When I boot up, my login screen (with three accounts on it you can choose one of three I mean) is totally blocked. I can move the arrow and click on my login name but nothing happens, it doesnt "move the login name left/up" to show me the password field so I can get on with typing my password. It just sits there, no matter where I click with the trackpad, left button right button or anywhere, its blocked and will not show the password field so I can get on with logging in.

If I leave the mouse over my login name a popup tho does appear telling me Im about to click on my name.

Then you let it sit there for 5-10 Minutes and all of a sudden it starts working; I can click on my login name and now I can type my password.

This now happens everytime I startup my Mac.

Any ideas?

Repair permissions and check disk was okay, didnt solve the problem though...Im worried one day it will stop letting me in full stop...then what..

Thanks for any tipps

The Wumpus

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Admin of 6 MacBook Pros, 8 G4s

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 12:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 11:54 AM

Same problem here. Resolved spontaneously, then after logging in and doing disk checkups after 1 day, the computer hung. That is: I noticed that right click and middle click worked, but left click did not!

After googeling hung left click: It seems to be a OSX, non-version (Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion) problem with track-pad and/or Bluetooth related devices. Some point the culprit to the apple trackpad.

In my case I (retrospectively) came to the conclusion that the trackpad is the problem, and have no problem since

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2012 11:54 AM in response to wumpus

Same problem here. Resolved spontaneously, then after logging in and doing disk checkups after 1 day, the computer hung. That is: I noticed that right click and middle click worked, but left click did not!

After googeling hung left click: It seems to be a OSX, non-version (Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion) problem with track-pad and/or Bluetooth related devices. Some point the culprit to the apple trackpad.

In my case I (retrospectively) came to the conclusion that the trackpad is the problem, and have no problem since

Oct 12, 2012 12:30 AM in response to HetDraakje

Thanks but....oh dont be fooled!

🙂

For me it always works with an attached Usb mouse.

I use that in work. With the mouse, it always works.

With the trackpad it doesnt..so Im not sure this is linked to you switching of your trackpad; I think with the mouse it will always work anyways. But having said all that,

How did you switch your trackpad "Off"? Did you rip it out of the keyboard and glue it back in? 🙂

Cant harm me trying that here....

Thanks for letting me know

the wumpus

Oct 23, 2012 2:16 PM in response to wumpus

Whoops, there's a big diiference (sorry for this late reply). I had the problem on a Mac Pro having wireless input devices such as the trackpad.... No need for me to pull out the chainsaw 🙂

So in your case an external mouse does work...

1. does clicking your trackpad get you further when you have an external mouse connected (but not used)?

2. if you have used your external mouse to get you logged on, does your trackpad respond normally (all functions)?

3. Any weird things in your preferences menu?

I'm not having any clue to resolving your problem, just thinking along...

Boen

10.6.8 login screen blocked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.