Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having trouble sending jpeg images as attachments in Mac email.....they go thru as images and PC users can't see the SAVE or QUICK LOOK boxes that Mac mail has. One friend scrolled over the image, right clicked on it and saved as a PNG file.

Having trouble sending jpeg images as attachments in Mac email.....they go thru as images and PC users can't see the SAVE or QUICK LOOK boxes that Mac mail has. One friend scrolled over the image, right clicked on it and saved as a PNG file.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 12:17 PM

7 replies

Oct 12, 2012 6:36 AM in response to rave300

rave300 wrote:

Can anyone explain what is happening here, is it that Mail is sending the email as a non standard rich HTML or is it just Exchange or what?

What is "here"? Are you experiencing the same problem as the original poster? That would be difficult because the original poster isn't exeriencing any problem. Mail is sending correctly formatted e-mail messges through either SMTP or Exchange. There are a number of different versions of Outlook that PC users might have. Each one has a distinct set of bugs. Outlook is one of the rare e-mail programs that has the ability to send an e-mail message that it cannot decphier correctly. Somehow, this has become Apple's problem.

Oct 12, 2012 6:45 AM in response to etresoft

Hi, and thanks for taking the time to answear. My problem is similar to the first poster. I work in a closed windows invironment. What is bothering me is this. I'm on a mac sending images that I paste or drag into Mail. I send them to Windows folks and somehow the images get changed into bad .jpgs or worse .png gets corrupt. As the first poster states Windows folks can't just grap the images because they are embedded into the post... What is happening here? Is this a fault with mail or Exhange? If I send images the same way with Outlook Mac this is not a problem...

Oct 12, 2012 8:50 AM in response to rave300

Apple Mail isn't going to change the format of any of your attachments. it isn't going to corrupt them either.

Exchange is a transport protocol and server. The issue you describe is not related to Exchange.

There are many different versions of Microsoft Outlook in use and they all have e-mail bugs. Different versions have different bugs. Some Apple Mail hack to get around a bug in Outlook 2003 may cause the same message to be problematic in Outlook 2000. Fix them both and another issue will cause trouble in Outlook 2007. You can't fix this. Apple can't fix this. Microsoft can and has but that is irrelevant if your recipients are using older versions.

One specific problem is that Apple Mail always sends image attachments inline, as images, not as iconized files. You can change this with Attachment Tamer. Just be aware that use of this software will break other things such as Stationery. E-mail is just a disaster. To date, no one outside of Apple has ever implemented the e-mail standards from 1993. Apple has continually changed its e-mail software to be more compatible with the de-facto standards that Netscape and Microsoft have unilaterally defined and people documented as "standards" after the fact. The e-mail messages that Apple Mail sends are 100% correct and do not violate any of the original standards from 1993 or the Microsoft/Netscape modifications. The problem is entirely bugs and limitations in various versions of Outlook.

Oct 11, 2013 9:48 AM in response to jimfromsweden

jimfromsweden wrote:

This is not correct! I´v tried to send the same mail to 20 reccivers and everbody that is using PC cant see the file. Only Mac users can see the file. If i take the same file on a memorystick and dend it from a pc its works fine. There is something in Mac´s mail that changes the files.

What "file" are we talking about here? Do you have intimate knowledge of LeePhotog12's problem from over a year ago? If not, then you should probably start your own thread, provide more details, and find your own solution.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.