Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant Stops Responding

Attempting to migrate Applications from a Mac Pro to a Mac Mini Server using Migration Assistant. The units pair and hand shake fine, the transfer appears to begin, then an error message appears: "Your other Mac stopped responding," and the transfer must be cancelled. Why?

Both units OS 10.8.1. This fail occured over my home network, direct CAT6 ethernet connection and wireless -- same result. Emphasize they do pair properly. Numeric code is generated, recieved and confirmed. The list of possible items to transfer appears, and before calculation of size of files is complete, the error code occurs. Both units have drives set to Never turn off.

Is this the bug 10.8.1 was supposed to fix?

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 12:45 PM

6 replies

Sep 17, 2012 10:19 AM in response to DavidAhrendts

Apple support note from last month shows an issue with OS 10.8.1 and Migration Assistant if "Back to My Mac" is enabled on the destination Mac. My destination mac is a Mac Mini Server, and although "Back to My Mac" is not enabled, Remote Management is enabled. That might be our issue. Will experiment and advise.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4345

Nov 25, 2012 6:02 AM in response to DavidAhrendts

Just received a new Macbook Pro with 8.2 on her. Tried to use both the Setup to transfer users and files from a a 10.6.8 Macbook Pro and was unable to do either. With Firewire connected and the Target disk Icon on the screen neither Setup or Migration Assistant would show the older computer. Thought I needed to purchase an upgrade for the older Mac but just didn't want to do that nor wait the hours for the install!

Dave

Nov 25, 2012 7:31 AM in response to David Kall

David, quite certain it is the mis-match of OS levels here. The Migration Assistant is quite picky. In my case, documented in this thread, there was indeed an issue wioth the new 10.8.1 and Migration Assistant, but 10.8.2 fixed that issue and it worked very effectively to transfer from a MacPro to a Mac Mini and from an older MacBook Pro to a newer one.

Migration Assistant Stops Responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.