Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I play my guitar through Garageband using the MacBook Pro Dual Audio Out/In?

I've just bought my first Mac and - no suprise - it's awesome! The only problem is that I want to get up and running on Garage Band and can't seem to get my Electric Guitar to play through the software. Do I need an audio midi interface or can I go straight into the dual audio out/in with a suitable jack plug converter?

Any advice would be gratefully received. Oh, any suggestions for suitable kit would also be appreciated 🙂

Matt

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 12:28 PM

12 replies

Nov 19, 2017 12:17 AM in response to llull

I've tried iMic but found it very noisy, the sound seemed thin and it seemed to pick up external sounds as well, so for example if I knocked the iMic slightly I could hear the knock in my headphones. It worked but the sound was so low quality I gave up on it eventually. I haven't tried anything since but I do intend to get a more expensive adaptor at some point.

Nov 6, 2012 11:19 AM in response to MattDaily

First of all, yes, an external audio interface is most of the time better than the built in ports/microphones.

However there seems to be some confusion about that single audio jack on the MacBook Pros (I guess that's the one you have).

It is a single 1/8" jack and although it has a headphone label on it, you can use it as an audio input. The Sound tab in the System Preferences has a popup menu where you can select if you want to use that port as a Sound Output (for headphones) or as a Sound Input (plugin your keyboard or guitar).

Please note that the options on this Sound settings window is "dynamic". Usually it only lists the Built-in Microphone as the single input device. When you plug in your guitar and select the Sound Input, then it switches and displays now "Audio line-in port". (that's what you see on my screenshot).

User uploaded file

So technically you play your guitar through GarageBand by just plugging it straight into your MacBook Pro with a 1/4" to 1/8" cable. The signal is week, so you might want to crank up all the level settings.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Feb 15, 2013 6:32 PM in response to EdgarRothermich

However..

I need some tips on how to set up guitar recording and playback with headphones.

Set up #1. I just plug in my acoustic electric guitar to my MBP directly with an 3.5 mm 4-Pin aux cord (with an 3.5 mm Mini to 6.3 mm 1/4 inch headphone adaptor in the guitar jack). Then I switch the Sound setting to use Audio port for Input. This form of set up feeds power to my guitar (I think) so the guitar mic works, allowing me to record on Garageband.

This setup would be adequate, but my acoustic is louder than my MBP speakers, thus any of the sweet pedals can't be adjusted properly. What I need is my headphones and guitar to use the same jack. So I got a splitter.

Set up #2. I use a 3.5 mm 4-Pin to 2x 3-Pin 3.5 mm Headset Splitter Adaptor - M/F. The splitter is plugged into the audio port.

The guitar connection is sort of the same as #1, but the aux cord is plugged into the microphone side of the splitter and my headphones are plugged into the headphone jack of the splitter. This fully functions in recording and headphones when I turn on my built-in guitar tuner, but then it automatically shuts off for the battery.

Unlike #1, #2 set up doesn't automatically work to power my guitar, but like I said, it only works as long as my tuner stays on. There must be a way (a setting, or something) to make this set up work.

I know this is complicated, but it's been fun figuring out how all these things function. I'm almost there, but I could use some fresh ideas on how to combine the functionality of #2 with the power of #1.

How do I play my guitar through Garageband using the MacBook Pro Dual Audio Out/In?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.