Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to do a 'force formatting'?

I decided to erase the external USB HD I was using for Time Machine. I used TM with a password.

Well, when I opened Disk Utility, it asked me for a password twice.

After I gave the password and clicked ERASE, I wasn't able to acess my external USB HD anymore.

Disk Utility recognizes the external HD, however, it will not mount an icon on my Finder.

I am able to Verify and even Repair my external USB HD, but I don't see the erase tab anymore.

The USB HD is working perfectly well, I hear the spinning sound and the little blue light lights up.

I tried diferent ports and switching cables. No go.

Thanks in advance for your help 😉

MacBook Pro 17, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 7:54 PM

17 replies

Sep 16, 2012 9:09 PM in response to Camarillo Brillo

Hey Frank Z....

1. Connect the External HD and open Disk Utility in your Utilities Folder.

2. Highlight the HDs top icon in the list of drives and select the Partition tab.

3. Under Volume Scheme select 1 Partition and click on the Options... button.

4. Select GUID Partition Table in the drop down window and click OK.

5. Set the Format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), name it and click the Apply button.

6. Once thats done, go to the Time Machine preference and setup TM to use or not use the drive.

Sep 16, 2012 10:49 PM in response to Camarillo Brillo

I had the same trouble once, and formatting the external disk via Terminal fixed it. Here's how to:

In Disk Utility, mark the external disk and click on "Info". Note the name of the disk there, e.g. disk2s2.

Open Terminal (under Applications -> Utilities).

Enter the following string without quotes: "diskutil eraseDisk HFS+ newdisk disk2". (newdisk refers to the new name of the partition, you can choose a different name or change it later again in Disk Utility. disk2 is the name of the drive as per "Info", the s2 isn't necessary.)

Hit return and wait till the process is finished. The disk will be formatted even if locked before, and it will be available in Disk Utility again.

Sep 17, 2012 6:39 AM in response to LousyFool

Dear LF,

thank you so much for the simplified steps (which I really needed)!

It worked like a charm!

Thanks to den.thed for his promplt reply and LF for helping me step-by-step.

You guys rock!

🙂

User uploaded file

PS- I mistakenly hit the wrong button on your tip, LF: instead of "This solved my problem" I hit "This helped me".

Is there a way I can change that?

May 23, 2014 8:37 PM in response to Camarillo Brillo

Hello,

I ran across this post while attempting to set my old macbook to factory settings and was unable to erase the hard drive. I followed LFs advise and recieved the following message

Error: -10000: Could not unmount disk

Any advise on how to deal with this. I have no desire to keep any of the files on this drive (they were all migrated to my wifes new macbook).

Thank You

Volksplane

Is it possible to do a 'force formatting'?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.