Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac DV G3 (PPC) speakers suddenly distorted sound output

HI everyone, I just bought an old iMac DV running OS9, and it worked just fine for a few days then - for no reason whatsoever, the stereo speakers suddenly produce very distorted sound, even at low volume. At higher volumes you can even see the speaker cones vibrating.

When it happened, I was just installing a few things with the volume set low, and the alerts suddenly sounded very distorted and remain that way. I didn't blow the speakers by playing loud music or anything like that.

I had nothing to lose, so I reformatted/installed new system but the problem remains.

My guess is that this is an electrical/hardware problem just down to plain old age, perhaps a bad solder joint or something. It's not the end of the world but it just seems strange that it happened so abruptly I did not move or thump the computer in any way.

It's an iMac DV from 1999, given it's age I'm not expecting miracles, but just wondering if anyone else ever had a similar problem and managed to fix it without pulling the computer apart and replacing a hardware component which is way too much hassle!

Were these models' speakers ever known to suddenly crap out with no warning?? Some older macs had design flaws they became notorious for (I'm thinking of my Ti Powerbook G4 hinges, I had that once!)

Is that extra button on the side booting into open firmware of any use? Just a stab in the dark!!!!

Any ideas/insight anyone?

Thanks!!!

iMac DV (circa 1999)-OTHER, Mac OS 9.0.x

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 1:53 AM

5 replies

Sep 17, 2012 7:23 AM in response to Ian O-'Brien__

At higher volumes you can even see the speaker cones vibrating.

That is normal. If they don't move, they don't work.

However, it could be that someone else overloaded the speakers and caused them to fail. I think the first step is to see if the speakers have been damaged. Use a pair of external speakers or headphones and test the sound.

Failed speakers in G3 iMacs are not a wide probelm like the one you mentioned, or bad capacitors in eMacs. Generally, the failure mode is the passive cooling (read, "no cooling") system baking the PAV board until some part of it fails.

May 16, 2014 4:06 PM in response to Ian O-'Brien__

Just wondering if you ever figured this out? I just had the same thing happen. Had the old iMac DV laying around and decided to hook up a usb midi keyboard to it so my daughter could learn some piano. I tested it out and played with it for a day or two and it was fine. Then suddenly the sound output from the speakers became completely distorted. The piano couldn't really play loud enough to do any damage, so I don't believe its the actual speakers, but more like the circuitry that's driving them.

Nov 28, 2015 7:27 AM in response to Ian O-'Brien__

After some more research I found the problem I was having - the speaker foam had dry-rot and it was causing the distorted sound output.

I fixed the problem by buying some laptop speakers from Amazon for about $12 (4 speakers included, I only needed two) and replacing the speakers, using all existing wiring. The result is decent. The sound quality is not what it was with the original Harmon Kardon speakers, but it's adequate for letting the kids play some classic games.

The speakers I bought were 36mm 2w version, which is actually too large. There was a 30mm size available (with I think is the correct size), but they were only 1w speakers and I worried the sound quality might be pitiful. I couldn't find any info on the original specs of the HK speakers. With a little surgery on the speaker case, I shoved the 36mm speakers in and they've been doing well so far.

I may at some point see if I can find some higher quality 30mm speakers, but at least I have working sound on the iMac again.

imac DV G3 (PPC) speakers suddenly distorted sound output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.