Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retina MacBook - backlit keyboard issue

I have been noticing for the past week something weird with my backlit keyboard on my rMBP.

First, I noticed that the "esc" and "F1" keys are not as lit as the others. Then when I was playing a movie (I can confirm discrete graphics were in use), the keys lit up again.

I have played this scenario over and over, and the keys do light up properly when I am watching movies.

From your experience, do you guys think this is a major logic board issue or a minor issue with LED lights beneath the keys. Since this is my two month old laptop, I would hate my laptop to go through a major repair. 😟

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 10:58 AM

3 replies

Oct 2, 2012 7:58 PM in response to Aceattack

I had the same problem throughout my keyboard. I tried a few tips from the forums -i.e. control+option+shift on reboot, control+P+R, but the problem would not correct itself.

I made an appointment at the local genius bar and they had to change the top case (Keyboard, trackpad, battery) in order to solve this. They had the part in stock so I had my laptop back within 24 hours (kudos Apple!), but the tech suggested that since the part was $450 plus labour, it might be worth purchasing the extended warranty ($250 as a student) as a safeguard since there are so few replaceable parts on the Retina.

Retina MacBook - backlit keyboard issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.