Skip navigation

10.8 Server, how to sleep.....

1578 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2013 12:53 PM by jpparallel RSS
gumsie Level 4 Level 4 (2,075 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 17, 2012 12:05 PM

This is what I did, (after mucho digging);

1. Clone my system first.

2. Run pmset -g assertions, to find out what's preventing the Mac from sleeping.

My list was constant and was really always two things. com.apple.serve and httpd. These had sub-processes being org.calendarserver.calendarserver, com.apple.server.filesharing, com.apple.ppp.pptp, com.apple.ppp.l2tp, com.apple.collabauthd. There were also com.apple.apache.denysystemsleep and com.apple.helpd.sdmbuilding being a sticking point.

I found out that helpd will not prevent sleep once it's finished what it's doing, so sometimes you'll be lucky sometimes not.

Apache on the oher hand I manually unload using sudo apachectl stop. This is something I'll have to look at fixing.

So I then set about finding these files and the reason it took so long was because I was looking in entirely the wrong place. Most of these are located at /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/System/Library/LaunchDaemons.

I then made the obligatory copies and set about altering the plists. Inserted them as necessary, repaired permissions and restarted.

Bob is your mothers brother. I have SLEEP!!!

PowerMac G6 Alu Cinema HD, Mac OS X (10.6), Ctrl, Alt, Del.........AAAaarggghhh!
  • Mac Admin1 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Sep 17, 2012 1:36 PM (in response to gumsie)

Hi, can you explain in detail what exactly you have done to files inside:

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/System/Library/LaunchDaemons

to have sleep working?

Sep 18, 2012 1:41 AM (in response to gumsie)

Oh, I should have taken a closer look, it's so obvious. Thank you, it works!

Sep 18, 2012 10:24 AM (in response to Mac Admin1)

The only thing I can't figure is where and what to change so apache does not prevert sleep - as you outlined it too.

As a temporary solution I inserted the   apachectl stop   command into /etc/rc.sleep - this file is being executed by SleepWatcher before sleep. Yes I know, I have to restart apache manually after wake or automate it, but I'm fine with that.

• jpparallel Calculating status...
    Mar 21, 2013 12:25 PM (in response to gumsie)

My solution, although I may discover issues further down the road, is navigate to /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.apache.httpd.plist and change "OnDemand=NO" to YES. You'll require ownership permissions of the LaunchDaemons folder and the .plist file. I would say REMEMBER TO BACK THEM UP FIRST!!!!!!!!!!! This is the owning file of apachectl process as best as I can tell.

• jpparallel Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Mar 21, 2013 12:26 PM (in response to gumsie)

My solution, although I may discover issues further down the road, is navigate to /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.apache.httpd.plist and change "OnDemand=NO" to YES. You'll require ownership permissions of the LaunchDaemons folder and the .plist file. I would say REMEMBER TO BACK THEM UP FIRST!!!!!!!!!!! This is the owning file of apachectl process as best as I can tell.

Mar 21, 2013 12:26 PM (in response to gumsie)

Mar 21, 2013 12:28 PM (in response to gumsie)

My solution, although I may discover issues further down the road, is navigate to /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.apache.httpd.plist and change "OnDemand=NO" to yes. You'll require ownership permissions of the LaunchDaemons folder and the .plist file. I will say REMEMBER TO BACK THEM UP FIRST!!!!!!!!!!! This is the owning file of apachectl process as best as I can tell.

iMac, OS X Server
    Mar 21, 2013 12:53 PM (in response to gumsie)

Never mind, I can admit when I make a mistake. My "fix" stops the profile manager and device enrolment websites from working. (And possibly more)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.