Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iWeb's future?

Someone told me iWeb will no longer be supported on Mountain Lion. Is that right?

Love iWeb. Hate to see it die.

Soooo... if I have iWeb, will it disappear, become dysfunctional if I move to Mountain Lion? I still working on Snow Leopard.

I am constantly introducing friends to iWeb. Dinner exchanges. I get a free dinner, they get a course in iWeb. A friend is now on Mountain Lion, wants to learn iWeb. Can iWeb be installed on Mountain Lion, and will it run?

If not, can she take a step back and retro-install Lion on her three year old MacBook Pro?

All ears,

B

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 12:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 12:50 PM

iWeb runs OK in Mountain Lion. See this page for more info...

http://www.iwebformusicians.com/iWeb/mountain-lion.html

If you intend to use iWeb a lot, I would keep it on a bootable external drive using Snow Leopard. It runs best under that OS as do most things. Opening separate sites under Mountain Lion takes longer and is a pain.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2012 12:50 PM in response to Ben Low

iWeb runs OK in Mountain Lion. See this page for more info...

http://www.iwebformusicians.com/iWeb/mountain-lion.html

If you intend to use iWeb a lot, I would keep it on a bootable external drive using Snow Leopard. It runs best under that OS as do most things. Opening separate sites under Mountain Lion takes longer and is a pain.

Sep 17, 2012 12:53 PM in response to Ben Low

iWeb still works, though with the demise of MobileMe there are a few facilities such as blog comments which don't work. You can publish to another hosting service, so people who have invested effort in iWeb sites can keep going.

However I seriously would advice anyone who isn't already using iWeb not to start now. So far it works (mostly), but it's not being supported nor updated, and sooner or later a system upgrade will break it. It's not really a sensible idea to commit to something which is obsolete as you'll only have to change over to something else later. There are various other options, and choosing something which is being properly supported will pay off in the long run.

Sep 17, 2012 1:01 PM in response to Roddy

Thank you Roddy and Roger, very helpful.

I'll help my friend try it out with her Mountain Lion ... and see just how difficult it's become. That was one of the luxuries of iWeb in Snow Leopard, that one could work on the computer and upload with a single click. Very smart.

I've never found anything as efficient for creating very good looking sites ... Dreamweaver, WordPress et. al., they all drive me bonkers with their complexity ... and all those tiny little details of operation one has to learn, and retain, that aren't easily found in any manual ...

If you can suggest anything that is in any way similar to iWeb, that allows one to create a look from scratch, gradients, drop-shadows, reflections, etc. etc. so easily ... I'm all ears. I know there is a lot more coding involved, and slower load times ... though I'm often surprised at how fast my iWeb pages load (how often I can't see a difference with WordPress created pages).

Thank you again...

Ben

Sep 17, 2012 1:11 PM in response to Ben Low

Wordpress is a CMS (Content Management System) for people who can't build websites to update and manage their site. It produces huge amounts of code and is not a sensible choice for creating websites.

A reasonably simple iWeb page run through an optimizer will beat a Wordpress site any day.

Applications like Rapid Weaver and Sandvox are similar to iWeb but don't produce any better code and are more expensive. If you are happy with iWeb and can accept its limitaions I wouldn't waste your money on any of its competition. Something better will come along.

Sep 17, 2012 1:17 PM in response to Roddy

Hey Roddy, that's most encouraging. I thought so. I have to work on a large WordPress site regularly ... and every time I grind my teeth; it always takes me about six times longer to do anything, the simplest tasks. And if any time has gone by between sessions I need a friggin' (s'cuse my French) refresher course just to access the site.

My server host (www.hostpapa.com) now runs some new kind of system that has my sites mirrored all over the planet ... so if one location is slow it bops the viewer to the nearest next station, or downloads simultaneously from two locations. I haven't a clue how it works, but it's speeded up my sites by at least 30%.

Thank you for your help, very much appreciated...

Ben

Sep 17, 2012 1:47 PM in response to Ben Low

As you now know iWeb and iDVD have been discontinued by Apple. This is evidenced by the fact that new Macs are shipping with iLife 11 installed but without iWeb and iDVD.

On June 30, 2012 MobileMe was shutdown. HOWEVER, iWeb will still continue to work but without the following:

Features No Longer Available Once MobileMe is Discontinued:

◼ Password protection

◼ Blog and photo comments

◼ Blog search

◼ Hit counter

◼ MobileMe Gallery

All of these features can be replaced with 3rd party options.

Currently if the site is published directly from iWeb to the 3rd party server the RSS feed and slideshow subscription features will work. However, if the site is first published to a folder on the hard drive and then uploaded to the sever with a 3rd party FTP client those two features will be broken.

There's another problem and that's with iWeb's popup slideshows. Once the MMe servers are no longer online the popup slideshow buttons will not display their images.

User uploaded file

Click to view full size

This issue will come into play when Apple takes down the MMe servers. Currently they are still up so that uses can download their MMe Gallery photos and iDisk files. Eventually when the servers are taken down you will see this issue. You can see what it will be like by publishing your site to a folder on your hard drive, disconnecting from the internet, opening the site with your browser and playing a slideshow.

However, Roddy McKay and I have figured out a way to modify existing sites with those slideshows and iWeb itself so that those images will display as expected once MobileMe servers are gone. How to is described in this tutorial: iW14 - Modify iWeb So Popup Slideshows Will Work After MobileMe is Discontinued.

NOTE: the iLife 11 boxed version Is no longer available at the online Apple Store. To get a copy you'll have to try Amazon.com or eBay.com.

OT

Sep 17, 2012 1:56 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank you Old Toad,

I mainly use the 'blog' function in iWeb to create sub-pages ... a group of pages in a hierarchy under a single page. It is working quite well still. I've never used Mobile Me, have always had my iWeb sites on a standard server setup. When I've used the slideshow it's worked just fine. But no interface with visitors ... other than what I add as a plug-in. I'm going to look at your Tutorial, I'm most curious.

Much appreciated,

Ben

iWeb's future?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.