Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iDVD 11 rendering speeds slow in lion

Under Lion 10.7.4 my Mac Pro has no problem configuring iDVD 11 (7.1.2) to burn a two hour movie (720x480) but it renders now in seven hours when it used to render in 3-3.5 hours. That same two hour movie rendered in under four hours using Toast Titanium 11.2 (I did not wait for it to burn in iDVD). Activity Monitor.app revealed the difference (at least I think). Only four cores of the processor were working with iDVD whereas both actual and virtual cores were firing with Toast. Here is my question. Is my problem really related to my computer or has Lion somehow affected iDVD's access to the real and actual cores? I don't recal having a problem like this under Snow Leopard.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Aug 2009, 4 core, 2.66 Ghz

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 12:05 PM

10 replies

Sep 17, 2012 5:17 PM in response to Tom Kirsch

Just watched the trailer and it looks great!

Try creating a disk image of the project so as to separate the encoding process with the burn process.

Follow this workflow to help ensure the best quality final product:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image and launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding was good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

That's plenty of free space so it could be the media you're using.

Sep 17, 2012 11:41 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank you Old Toad. Your accumen with Mac suggests I better watch how I ask questions in the future. I may get more of an education than I was asking for.

The DVD I was creating was a 2H 30M NTSC movie from a 2.3GB, .m4v file configured for AppleTV (720x480) digitized from VHS tape using eyeTV v3.5.

Saving as a Disk Image fooled me since the process looks exactly like iDVD's encoding. It actually took 1H 51M to encode the movie (I used the word "render" that may have misled you as to the direction of your response). The "Time Remaining" indicator was way off. First it showed 7H 48M remaining, then after 8M of encoding it dropped to 1H 16M remaining afterwhich it showed 45M remaining to multiplex and burn then write. The Time Remaining was, in short, very inaccurate in time and task.

The image file I created played with both DVD Player (5.5) and VLC (2.0.2). Initially I got confused with DVD Player because I failed to "mount" the .img file. The encoding was better than with Toast's copy.

The burn to disk took 30M for a 7.82 GB .img file.

Throughout all the encoding, multiplexing and burning and writing of the .img file I never saw more than 4 cores activated (Activity Monitor.app . Contrast with Toast that showed 8 cores (both real and virtual cores) activated.

I suspect that Toast took around 2H 30M to encode and burn but its image was not as good as the original. Had I used the HD plug-in (today I spent the $20.00 Roxio wanted for the HD plug-in) the image would have most likely looked as good as the copy you helped me create.

Now the $64,000.00 question. Why aren't all 8 cores activated with iDVD?

As I mentioned before, with Toast v11.2 all 8 cores are activated while creating the disk. Certainly my Mac Pro has the capability and the iDVD app has been around long enought to be written to activate all cores. Have the OS iterations since iDVD affected the way the app performs?

Sep 18, 2012 3:38 AM in response to mishmumken

Hi mishmumken

Right as ever - but there are one more thing to this.

There are more bottle necks in this process - and if there is no calculation in need to be done - CPU cores will be left inactive.

• iMovie, iDVD AND Mainly Mac OS is really HARD DISK intensive actors and if one use

- Main Hard Disk for - Application & Mac OS & Storage - It will be slow

- Use - USB/USB2 external hard disk - These too queues up material = Get's Slow - Especially when filling up and if HD-Material is used

- Low free space on Start-Up Hard Disk - near halt's Mac OS

So by facilitating data transfer - More CPU Cores also will be in action.

TO GET IT TO WORK SLIGHTLY FASTER

• Minimum of 25Gb free space on Start-Up hard disk

• No other programs running in BackGround e.g. Energy-Saver

• Don’t let HD spin down or be turned off (in Energy-Save)

• Move hard disks that are not to be used to Trash - To be disconnected/turned off

• Goto Spotlight and set the rest of them under Integrity (not to be scanned)

• Set screen-saver to a folder without any photo - then make an active corner (up right for me) and set

pointer to this - turns on screen saver - to show that it has nothing to show

• No File Vault on - Important

• NO - TimeMachine - during iMovie/iDVD work either ! IMPORTANT

• Lot's of icons on DeskTop/Finder also slows down the Mac noticeably

• Start a new User-Account and log into this and iMovie get's faster too - if a project is in a hurry

• And let Mac run on Mains - not just on battery

Yours Bengt W

Sep 18, 2012 9:30 AM in response to mishmumken

"iDVD is not aware (and cannot be made aware of) more than 4 cores. iDVD is also EOL so there will be no more updates or changes. To say the truth, iDVD is pretty old by now. iDVD 7 was released in 2007."

Sadly I am aware of this fact. Nothing lasts forever, yes, but I am hoping that another company will step up to the plate with a comparable app. The Themes alone in iDVD make it feel like I am creating something professional.

Sep 18, 2012 10:09 AM in response to Tom Kirsch

Thank you all for your replys:

Bengt - I have never seen a reply on Mac speed and what causes slowdowns so succintly articulated. I am going to keep a copy of your reply nearby to remind me of this discussion and the next time I start moaning about the speed of my Mac I will consider your input (MacKeeper set aside - wasted money).

Mishmumken - Old memories die hard with me. I have been a Mac user since '83. I always thought that Apple maintained their apps current with the hardware technology they were selling. In '09 I buy a Mac Pro, crunch a bunch of video, then I start getting 7H encoding times and go huh? Hence the reason for asking the question.

Old Toad - The exercise you put me through has really enhanced my knowledge of the video processing work I have been doing. I will remember your approach well into the future.

iDVD 11 rendering speeds slow in lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.