Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imessage not sending through my phone number?

Earlier today my IPhone 4 was working perfectly fine through the IMessage system. My girlfriends IMessage went down first then it went back up. Then mine stopped sending and hers did again also. Right now we both have tried restarting our phones, restarting IMessage, ect. Right now our IMessage will work, but not through our phone numbers as it did earlier today. Any idea how to fix this? We have to send messages via Text message and it will not work through our phone numbers

iPhone 4

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 12:24 PM

11 replies

Oct 9, 2012 8:24 PM in response to habby3

This is the only thing that fixed it I was so stumped! Thank you, I had previously tried just a standard restart , also signing in and out of imessage and apple id several times.... but the hard power down is the only thing that fixed the problem. HighFive😍

habby3 wrote:

Restart your iphone holding both buttons down (top and bottom) - it worked for me as my number had turned gray as well.

Good luck

Oct 16, 2012 12:23 PM in response to jmew

SO....The same issue arose AGAIN!!! So I did the HARD RESET, and I realized..... to avoid this from ever happening in the future....

This is the only thing that fixed it I was so stumped! Thank you, I had previously tried just a standard restart , also signing in and out of imessage and apple id several times.... but the hard power down is the only thing that fixed the problem. HighFive😍

1. AFTER HARD RESET (PRESSIN THE TOP AND LOWER BUTTONS AS SAME TIME)
  2. POWER ON
  3. AND APPLE IMESSAGE WINDOW WILL POP UP AND ASK IF YOU WANT TO USE YOUR EMAIL WITH YOUR IMESSAGE, IT WILL ASK FOR YOUR APPLE ID.....
  4. SELECT CANCEL!!! DO NOT PUT YOUR PASSWORD IN BECAUSE IT WILL THEN SET YOU UP FOR EMAIL TO BE USED FOR YOUR IMESSAGE, IF YOU CANCEL THAT WINDOW, IT WILL ONLY USE YOUR PHONE NUMBER, AND WHEN YOU ARE NOT AVAIL FOR IMESSAGE IT WILL SEND THE MSG VIA TEXT INSTEAD OF IMSG OR EMAIL...THIS IS THE BEST SOLUTION AND SINCE I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEM GETTING OR RECIEVING IMESSAGE

Good Luck! Happy iPhoning 😎

jmew wrote:

habby3 wrote:

Restart your iphone holding both buttons down (top and bottom) - it worked for me as my number had turned gray as well.

Good luck

Oct 16, 2012 12:24 PM in response to KENNA����

KENNA wrote:

jmew that helped!!!!

SO....The same issue arose AGAIN!!! So I did the HARD RESET, and I realized..... to avoid this from ever happening in the future....

1. AFTER HARD RESET (PRESSIN THE TOP AND LOWER BUTTONS AS SAME TIME)
  2. POWER ON
  3. AND APPLE IMESSAGE WINDOW WILL POP UP AND ASK IF YOU WANT TO USE YOUR EMAIL WITH YOUR IMESSAGE, IT WILL ASK FOR YOUR APPLE ID.....
  4. SELECT CANCEL!!! DO NOT PUT YOUR PASSWORD IN BECAUSE IT WILL THEN SET YOU UP FOR EMAIL TO BE USED FOR YOUR IMESSAGE, IF YOU CANCEL THAT WINDOW, IT WILL ONLY USE YOUR PHONE NUMBER, AND WHEN YOU ARE NOT AVAIL FOR IMESSAGE IT WILL SEND THE MSG VIA TEXT INSTEAD OF IMSG OR EMAIL...THIS IS THE BEST SOLUTION AND SINCE I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEM GETTING OR RECIEVING IMESSAGE

Good Luck! Happy iPhoning 😎

Imessage not sending through my phone number?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.