Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to have a dual screen setup with an iMac (2012) and an iMac (mid 2007)?

Hello Everyone,

I have two iMacs. One is a 2012 model and the other is a mid 2007 model. Would I be able to use the mid 2007 model as an extra monitor?

I was going to purchase a mini dvi to mini display port cable and see what happens but I think it would be a good idea to see what everyone else thinks. Thanks for any suggestions!

- Nolan

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 2:14 PM

The Apple Support Communities are an international user to user technical support forum. As a man from Mexico, Spanish is my native tongue. I do not speak English very well, however, I do write in English with the aid of the Mac OS X spelling and grammar checks. I also live in a culture perhaps very very different from your own. When offering advice in the ASC, my comments are not meant to be anything more than helpful and certainly not to be taken as insults.

I am thinking that won't work. The older iMac's video port only goes on direction - out. It won't take the signal from the newer iMac. You might be able to do something with this software;

http://www.screenrecycler.com/ScreenRecycler.html

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2012 2:14 PM in response to nolanvoss

The Apple Support Communities are an international user to user technical support forum. As a man from Mexico, Spanish is my native tongue. I do not speak English very well, however, I do write in English with the aid of the Mac OS X spelling and grammar checks. I also live in a culture perhaps very very different from your own. When offering advice in the ASC, my comments are not meant to be anything more than helpful and certainly not to be taken as insults.

I am thinking that won't work. The older iMac's video port only goes on direction - out. It won't take the signal from the newer iMac. You might be able to do something with this software;

http://www.screenrecycler.com/ScreenRecycler.html

Is it possible to have a dual screen setup with an iMac (2012) and an iMac (mid 2007)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.