Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using native .mov files and transcoded AVCHD on same timeline

I will be on a 2 week shoot in Hawaii next month. Most of the time will actually be spent on a cruise ship, and the cruise line will not allow

me to set up my Panasonic AC-130 on a tripod while on board their ship. But, it appears I can get away with using my JVC HM-100 due to

it's small form factor (but still no tripod). I will also be shooting with a Canon 7D, a Panasonic X900M, and a GoPro. So, I will log and transfer

from these last 3 cameras using ProRes422, but my JVC footage will be in native QT format. I am curious to know what issues I may run into

when I start co-mingling these on the same timeline in FCP7. Anything I should know, or that I can do, to minimize problems?

Thanks much,

Ben

MacPro 2.26 Ghz Quad Core, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 16 GB RAM

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 3:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 1:04 AM

Your sequence needs to match your footage exactly. If that is not the case you'll have to render everything. Personally I'd transcode everything to either ProRes 422 or LT.

Make sure you shoot the same frame size and frame rate with all cameras and try to match color and exposure as closely as you can.

3 replies

Sep 18, 2012 7:53 AM in response to mishmumken

Thanks, I had kinda thought that might be the direction to go. Seems a shame to transcode native QT footage but I understand the need. Also, I should have mentioned the frame rate issue you bring up. The Panasonic X900 will not shoot in 30fps; the Canon and GoPro will not shoot in 60fps. How do you suggest I tackle that one??

Ben

(P.S. If I am going to transcode the JVC footage anyway, should I shoot in .mov or mp4 mode?)

Using native .mov files and transcoded AVCHD on same timeline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.