Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way for Itunes to compare your library to the music that is on the ipod?

I have recently moved all my music to my laptop as my ipod may break any day now because it is so old and I wanted to organise my library so I don't lose any thing. Over the past few years I have manually been adding music to my ipod because it meant i could have music on my desktop computer and my laptop, however on deciding to move it all to one place I have descovered I have more songs on my itunes than my ipod but I can't work out which ones they are. Is there any way Itunes can run a program to determine the differences between the music on the ipod and itunes? I would just sync the entire library however it would mean that if there are songs on my ipod that are not on my itunes they would be deleted. (I would go through my library manually to determine the differences however I have over 4500 songs so that would be a little difficult)

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 3:14 PM

3 replies

Sep 17, 2012 3:25 PM in response to lyonscoffee1

I have only synced a device on a single occasion in my life. Doesn't it say something about how many songs will transfer?

The laptop is supposed to be the master repository for everything on the iPod and they are designed to be in sync.

You can check the Dougscripts web site. There's all kinds of goodies there but I don't know if the extend to something like this. There's also third party software but again I don't know if it goes to that detail. People usually use it when they are trying to rescue content for a non-backed-up computer.

Is there a way for Itunes to compare your library to the music that is on the ipod?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.