Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are the import settings needed for Final Cut Pro 7 when using a Canon Vixia HV30 and DV tape?

I am using Final Cut Pro 7, and a Canon Vixia HV30. I am tying to import a Panasonic Mini DV tape. I have a 4 pin to 9 pin FireWire cable connected from my camcorder, to my Mac.

For the HV30 users out there, I set up my camera to "DV Locked" by switching to Play > Function > Menu > Play/Out Setup 2 > DV Output > DV Locked. My camcorder, as far as I understand, should now be able to play my DV video for Final Cut Pro to recognize.

How should I set the import settings for Final Cut Pro so tha it may recognize my camera, and DV tape? If it's unable to read my DV tape, why is that, and what are some solutions I could look into?

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Canon Vixia HV30 Camcorder

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 3:58 PM

7 replies

Sep 17, 2012 5:00 PM in response to SmashProof

First determine what format you recorded. The HV30 will record in DV or HDV to a MiniDV tape. Next, determine which format you want to capture; even if you recorded HDV, the HV30 can be set to output DV via Firewire. Next, make sure the camera is set to output the signal via Firewire. Details are in the User's Manual for the camera.

Once you've determined if you shot DV or HDV, and if you shot HDV, determine if you want to output and capture DV instead, go into FCP's capture settings and choose the appropriate setting for DV or HDV (PAL or NTSC). Since this is a Canon camera, and Canon has never fully adhered to the Firewire standard, set FCP's Device Control to "Firewire Basic." Now that alone may not be enough. Canon devices often don't play well with other deives on your Mac's Firewire bus, so if you have any other Firewire devices (external hard drives, etc) connected, you may need to disconnect them before connecting your camera. NOTE: only connect and disconnect Firewire cables when both devices are powered down.

-DH

Sep 17, 2012 6:12 PM in response to David Harbsmeier

Both my hard drive and camcorder were plugged in. I ejected and turned off my hard drive, and turned off my camcorder. Then, I restarted Final Cut.

After turning my camcorder back on, I checked the Task Bar for Final Cut Pro > Easy Set Up. NTSC wasn't an option. This came up:

User uploaded file

So I went into Final Cut Pro > Audio/ Video Settings, and set up the following:

User uploaded file

After going to File > Log & Capture, this screen came up:

User uploaded file

My camera wasn't recognized, and there was "No Communication":

User uploaded file

As far as Firewire outputs, it seems as if my camcorder doesn't offer that option within the Menu settings:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I'm not sure how I could set up my camcorder based on these Menu screen options to help me out with capturing.

What else could I try to help me solve this problem I have with capturing?

Sep 17, 2012 8:18 PM in response to SmashProof

Are you shooting NTSC or PAL? 25fps is a PAL standard, which is why there are no NTSC options displayed.

Turn everything off. Disconnect everything. Start up the computer, then launch FCP.

Once FCP is running, go to the menu Final Cut Pro and select Easy Setup.

Set the Format to All Formats and the Rate to All Rates.

User uploaded file

Now choose DV-NTSC FireWire Basic from the drop down menu:

User uploaded file

Once you have done that, click Setup.

Now save the project, close Final Cut and shut down your computer.

Now turn on the camera, without the FireWire cable connected, and put it in the VTR mode. Rewind and play a little of your tape. You should see an image on the lcd screen, and there will be an indicator of what format the tape was recorded in (HDV or DV) at the top center of the lcd screen.

If you don't see an image playing back on the lcd screen, report that here.

You seem to want to output DV, so go to the 2nd Play/Out menu and choose DV locked. YOU MUST NOT HAVE THE FIREWIRE CABLE ATTACHED when you make menu choices, or the settings will be ignored.

Once you have done this, turn off the camera.

With both the camera and the computer off, plug in the FW cable into both to connect them, and turn on the camera to the VTR mode, then start the computer and launch FCP.

Open your project, and go to the menu File > Log and Capture.

When the Log and Capture pane opens, see if you have connectivity.

If you have no success, post back.

MtD

Message was edited by: Meg The Dog to fix typo

Sep 24, 2012 12:40 PM in response to Meg The Dog

Thanks to everyone offering help, I appreciate it. I'm very anxious to finally start editing!

Meg, I followed your advice, and there is still no connectivity. What else can I do?

And how would I know if I shot in NTSC or PAL?

Also, to report, playback did not tell me what format my tape was recorded in. Is this because I recorded the tape using a different DV camcorder?
User uploaded file
User uploaded file

Sep 24, 2012 4:29 PM in response to Russ H

I was told that if I purchased my camera and tape in the U.S. that NTSC is definitely the setting that I should use. But I purchased my HV30 years ago on eBay. How would I know whether it's an HV30 or HV30e for sure?

I got the advice to use the Easy Setup setting "HV 1080 60i". I changed my settings accordingly.

User uploaded file

So I changed the "DV Locked" setting on my camera back to Play > Function > Menu > Play/Out Setup 2 > DV Output > "HV/DV".

I even changed the "Comp Out" setting on my camera to "480i" to see if it'd read the DV tape differently that way. it didn't work.

User uploaded file

On the "HD/DV" setting, I get this message on "Log & Capture":

User uploaded file

Help!

What are the import settings needed for Final Cut Pro 7 when using a Canon Vixia HV30 and DV tape?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.