Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

First generation shuffle won't play music

I have a first generation iPod shuffle that syncs fine but won't actually play music. I've tried it using my computer, headphones and hooked up to my car stereo with no luck.

iPod shuffle, Windows XP, First Generation iPod shuffle issue

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 6:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2014 7:30 PM

i found the solution! i had the same problem with my shuffle, turns out the buttons were disabled- how you fix that is by holding the "play/pause" button down for about 5 seconds until the light blinks green. was so angry my ipod hasn't been working for months now. hope everything works out!

13 replies

Sep 18, 2012 5:34 AM in response to Glassgrrl

What happens when you try to play the music? Does the iPod appear to be powered on when you disconnect it from iTunes? What have you done so far in terms of troubleshooting?

Perhaps it would helpful to just simply do a hard reset of the Shuffle.

Resetting iPod shuffle

Otherwise, you may want to consider restoring the iPod to factory settings in iTunes.

This process wipes all content from the iPod, resets all settings back to their defaults, and loads a fresh copy of the iPod's software onto the device. So doing a restore would help eliminate the possibility of a software error/glitch and/or corrupted data.

Restoring iPod to factory settings

B-rock

Sep 20, 2012 9:16 AM in response to Glassgrrl

Have you tried another set of earbuds? Considering the age of the iPod, the battery may be shot and unable to stay powered on unless connected to an external power source. A restore would have cleared up any sort of software issue/glitch or corrupted data. So at point is safe to say that the issue is hardware related and you will need to have your iPod serviced or replaced.

B-rock

Oct 21, 2012 6:00 PM in response to Glassgrrl

I am having trouble with my Ipod shuffle. I found it while I was walking to class, so it is not my original Ipod. It won't show up on my computer but the day I found it it worked. Until now it has sat in my mother's drawer and it has charged for an hour and a half. It won't show up on Itunes but I have the Windows 7 and have heard that the Ipod shuffle won't work for Windows 7. My Ipod is the second generation. Can anyone help me?

Oct 22, 2012 5:44 AM in response to Iccabear

First of all, you should have posted this in your own thread, but let's see if we can figure out what is going on.

Secondly, the 2G Shuffle IS compatilble with Windows 7.

I assume you have iTunes installed and running on this PC and it is update to (10.7 is the latest version at the time of this writing.

Are you using a 2G cable versus a 3G/4G Shuffle cable? If you are using a 3G or 4G iPod Shuffle cable, it will not work with the 2G Shuffle as the connectors are different.

I assume you are plugging the iPod into a high powered USB 2.0 port located directly on the PC and through a hub?

B-rock

First generation shuffle won't play music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.