Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I update my old phone/backups before upgrading to iPone 5

I currently have an iPhone 4 and am looking to upgrade to the iPhone 5 in the (hopefully) not too distant future. I do have one pre-ordered, but besides that I just want to make sure all my back-ups are in order before I update. I have a lot of apps FILLED with important data.

Should I update my iPhone 4 to iOS6 before I get the new phone so that my iCloud and my PC's backup have iOS6 before restoring my files to the new phone? Does it even matter? I wouldn't want to restore from a back up onto my new phone and wind up running iOS5 on my new iphone 5 (if that's even possible).

Also, does anyone recommend restoring from a back up through PC over iCloud? The only reason I ask is because I'll be getting my phone in a physical store. I suppose I could try to restore from my iCloud back up there or wait until I am home later that day to restore from my PC. I heard that works better/takes less time than an iCloud restore. Any thoughts?

Thanks a lat!

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 8:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 8:22 PM

Follow the setps in the article below to back up your data:

How to back up iCloud data: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4910

5 replies

Should I update my old phone/backups before upgrading to iPone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.