Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Worth it to get a Thunderbolt drive? Recommend one ~

Is it worth the high cost to get a Thunderbolt drive? I do a lot of compositonal music and stream audio from external hard drives. The price seems pretty high for Thunderbolt drives. Will I notice a big difference over an external HHD 7200rpm?

If you think Thunderbolt drives are a good idea to go for, which ones would you recommend?

I was thinking I would get an internal SSD 256GB for OS and applications and either a 7200rpm internal for audio samples/projects (in the optical bay) or get an external drive (of some sort). Not sure which way to go.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 8GB Ram, 750GB 5400rpm HDD

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 8:48 PM

9 replies

Sep 18, 2012 9:47 AM in response to stikygum

What connection methood are you comparing with Thunderbolt? FireWire400, FireWire800, USB2, USB3, ethernet, wifi?

I bought a Thunderbolt-connected hard drive (not one of the ones OWC offers), and it gets transfer rates I've never managed to get before with FW400, FW800, USB2, or wifi connection. Even the USB3 drive I also bought (for other purposes) does not match the TB transfer, even though it has a similar-speed hard drive inside.

Sep 18, 2012 11:15 AM in response to markwmsn

I was comparing all of the above because Thunderbolt is supposed to be the fastest. But OWC chat told me that standard SATA drives won't benefit from Thunderbolt and the SATA Thunderbolt drives will end up having the same performance as an internal drive.

But you are saying that you see transfer speeds greater than other connections? How much faster are your TB rates compared to Firewire or USB2? I was surprised when OWC told me that, but now I'm wondering if the guy chatting doesn't know what he's talking about.

I almost want to chat with them again, but am apprehensive as I don't have any experience with TB to go off of.

Sep 19, 2012 3:34 PM in response to stikygum

On my 2.7GHz MBP-R running Mountain Lion, I get transfer speeds in the 400s (MB/sec) on the internal flash storage according to Blackmagix Disk Speed Test, around 150 on the 3TB Thunderbolt drive, around 55-70 on a FireWire 800 4TB RAID0 array (via TB-FW800 adapter), and 35-ish on the same 4TB array via USB2.

For comparison, that 4TB array gets 50-65 on Firewire 800 and 25-35 on USB2 on my 2006 17" 2.33Ghz MacBook Pro running Lion.The internal drive gets 35-50; it's a replacement 500GB 7200 RPM drive, but it's pretty full, so it may be somewhat more fragmented than the array.

The test program does a sequence of tests and displays results for each briefly, and the numbers fluctuate, hence the ranges of values.

These are my results from fairly short test runs. Your mileage may vary. Sorry I don't have a single drive with all of those interfaces.

Sep 19, 2012 3:34 PM in response to stikygum

On my 2.7GHz MBP-R running Mountain Lion, I get transfer speeds in the 400s (MB/sec) on the internal flash storage according to Blackmagix Disk Speed Test, around 150 on the 3TB Thunderbolt drive, around 55-70 on a FireWire 800 4TB RAID0 array (via TB-FW800 adapter), and 35-ish on the same 4TB array via USB2.

For comparison, that 4TB array gets 50-65 on Firewire 800 and 25-35 on USB2 on my 2006 17" 2.33Ghz MacBook Pro running Lion.The internal drive gets 35-50; it's a replacement 500GB 7200 RPM drive, but it's pretty full, so it may be somewhat more fragmented than the array.

The test program does a sequence of tests and displays results for each briefly, and the numbers fluctuate, hence the ranges of values.

These are my results from fairly short test runs. Your mileage may vary. Sorry I don't have a single drive with all of those interfaces.

Sep 19, 2012 4:29 PM in response to stikygum

Depends on which MacBook Pro and what ports it has. (USB 3.0?) Beyond that there are lots of considerations.

Thunderbolt costs a LOT, in my opinion more than it is worth for just one or two drives. And Thunderbolt is far from mature - so it costs a lot just to find stuff that really does work.

In every case you need to be the judge of what is a useful cost for gain in performance. To judge that you first have to know how to determine what kind of speeds you will get.

Current SATA drives are mechanically capable of around 150-180 MB/sec. Hooking them up to a hugely fast bus, like Thunderbolt, still only gets you 150-180 MB/sec.

Current SATAIII SSD drives are good for (roughly - lots of variations here) 450-500 MB/sec. Hooking them up to Thunderbolt starts to pay some bigger performance dividends.

A multidrive RAID array using SATA drives can be 800 MB/sec mechanical speed. Again, might be worth the high cost of state of the art zoom zoom and get a Thunderbolt RAID. Still gonna cost a bundle just because it is Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is new enough that developers charge all that the market will bear with virtually no competition.

Current MBP has USB 3.0 bus. Each port on the MBP is capable of a teensy bit over 200 MB/sec. Hook up a hard drive or two to that and get over double Firewire. (or quadruple if you use both ports) And it costs almost nothing for the USB components since they are so common and so much developer competition. The math is pretty good here as the performance gain per dollar ratio is more in your favor.

But again, it all depends on your wishes and how much you are willing to pay to speed things up a bit.

Rick

Sep 23, 2012 7:32 AM in response to stikygum

Thanks for all this. I had the same question. I just noticed that buffalo has a USB3/Thunderbolt drive out and was wondering if it was worth it since I've heard the internal hard drive in it is not that speedy. But for $100, not that big of a premium (especially since it includes the cables). Never bought anything from this company/brand so I might give it a try.

Worth it to get a Thunderbolt drive? Recommend one ~

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.