Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible not to use iTunes with classic iPod?

I have a 30GB iPod purchased in 2006. I had loaded MANY CDs to my computer and then to iPod and used for many years. Recently everything was wiped off of it - not sure how - but probably when connecting it to a different computer. Much of my lost music was irreplaceable. So, as I start over loading music, can I use it more as a hard drive and not use iTunes? How would I do that?

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 9:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 5:49 AM

not sure how - but probably when connecting it to a different computer.

An iPod is designed to sync with only one iTunes library at a time. If you try to sync it with a new/different iTunes library all content on the iPod will be erased and replaced with what is in the new/different iTunes library.

So, as I start over loading music, can I use it more as a hard drive

I guess it depends on what you mean by hard drive? You configure to be used an external hard drive, but loading files to it outside of iTunes will not work as the only way to add music to it is via iTunes.

Using your iPod as a storage drive

B-rock

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2012 5:49 AM in response to ClassicalMusician

not sure how - but probably when connecting it to a different computer.

An iPod is designed to sync with only one iTunes library at a time. If you try to sync it with a new/different iTunes library all content on the iPod will be erased and replaced with what is in the new/different iTunes library.

So, as I start over loading music, can I use it more as a hard drive

I guess it depends on what you mean by hard drive? You configure to be used an external hard drive, but loading files to it outside of iTunes will not work as the only way to add music to it is via iTunes.

Using your iPod as a storage drive

B-rock

Is it possible not to use iTunes with classic iPod?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.