Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All of my books have disappeared. How do I get them back?

All of my books have disappeared from iBooks. How do I get them back?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 8:26 PM

6 replies

Sep 18, 2012 1:28 AM in response to Cudjoe1

Had you synced to your computer's iTunes ? If you synced to your computer and the books aren't on your computer's iTunes then that might have removed them.

If they are ibooks purchases then you should be able to use the Store button at the top left of the bookshelf to go into the ibookstore in the app and re-download them via the Purchased tab at the bottom of the store. You can then connect to your computer and copy them over to your computer's iTunes via File > Transfer Purchases so that you have a copy of them for backing up/re-syncing purposes

Mar 31, 2015 11:03 PM in response to michaelfromcaravonica

Books are not included in a backup, neither iCloud nor iTunes. Have you got the in the Books part of your computer's iTunes library - prior to removing them from your iPad did you copy them over (File > Devices > Transfer Purchases should have copied them over from the iBooks app even if they weren't iTunes purchases) ? If not then you will have to recopy them where they originally came from

Mar 31, 2015 11:54 PM in response to michaelfromcaravonica

The contents of the iBooks app are not included in a backup, an iTunes restore would look for them in the Books part of your iTunes library (or iBooks app if using a Mac with Mavericks or Yosemite on it), an iCloud restore will redownload your iTunes purchases that it can.

Had you ever done File > Devices > Transfer Purchases to copy them over to your computer's iTunes library (and if using a Mac then done File > Move Books From iTunes in its iBooks app) ? That should have copied epubs and/or PDFs that werein the iBooks app, not just actual ibooks. If you had then you should be ableto sync them back.

What had you done with the iPad prior to them disappearing ? If you had synced the iPad to your computer when they were not in the Books part of your computer's iTunes library, then you may have effectively told iTunes to replace the current contents of the iBooks app with your selection in iTunes.

If you have copies of them anywhere on your computer then you can add them to your computer's iTunes library via File > Add To Library (or to the iBooks app if using an up-to-date Mac) and sync them back to your iPad

All of my books have disappeared. How do I get them back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.