Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two SSID's (and separate passwords) with Time Capsule 2TB

Is it possible to have two SSID's (and separate passwords) with Time Capsule 2TB - one for the 5Ghz frequency, the other for the 2.4Ghz frequency? I'm trying to get my Tivo Wireless N adapter to connect at 5Ghz so that streaming video's will be closer to full High Def? Help?!?!

Time Capsule/Airport-OTHER, iOS 5

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 9:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 10:38 PM

You can have two different SSID.. ie wireless name.. but there is no place for different passwords.. if you setup guest access then that should be allowed.. !!

You don't really need different passwords anyway.

5ghz is much faster but the range is far poorer.. so in the end you more than likely just need better 2.4ghz.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2012 10:38 PM in response to iGerrez

You can have two different SSID.. ie wireless name.. but there is no place for different passwords.. if you setup guest access then that should be allowed.. !!

You don't really need different passwords anyway.

5ghz is much faster but the range is far poorer.. so in the end you more than likely just need better 2.4ghz.

Sep 18, 2012 6:17 AM in response to iGerrez

Is it possible to have two SSID's

Yes

(and separate passwords)

No

If you want the Tivo to connect to 5 GHz, you must enable the option to assign a separate name to the 5 GHz network.....then "point" the Tivo at that network. But, connecting to 5 GHz does not necessarily mean that you will have a better signal.

Have you confirmed that the Tivo has the ability to connect to a 5 GHz network?

As LaPastenague points out....unless you literally have line of sight between the Tivo and the wireless router, you will probably have a stronger (and faster) signal using 2.4 GHz.

My suggestion would be to use the same SSID for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and let the Tivo connect to the best quality signal automatically. After all, isn't the best quality signal what you want?

Sep 18, 2012 2:26 PM in response to Bob Timmons

My suggestion would be to use the same SSID for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and let the Tivo connect to the best quality signal automatically. After all, isn't the best quality signal what you want?

I think you will find other than Mac Computers, almost no wifi client is able to pick and choose the best signal and swap.. but as in all things wireless .. it is voodoo.. !!

Sep 20, 2012 5:20 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you for your response. I did indeed verify the ability of the Tivo Wireless 'N' Adapter's ability to connect to 5 GHz network. Luckily my TV is within 15' of my computer base. But unlike your E-net setup I am in a mid-century home with plaster walls and beautiful hardwood floors, so my best option is wireless. What I ended up doing was re-attaching the Tivo Wireless 'N' Adapter to my base PC; then using the set-up wizard by pointing my browser to 192.168.10.1 and going through the series of configuration steps. While it doesn't specifically allow you to choose "5GHz vs 2.4GHz" it DOES ask whether you want to use channel's 1-11 vs 36-165 (those are the channels used in the U.S. for 2.4GHz and 5GHz ranges respectively). I was aware that 5GHz operates in the the range 36-165, so I chose the option which I believe was presented as "149 and above" and the Adapter connected correctly in less than 30 seconds to 5GHz, resulting in an amazing HD picture.

Also, I agree with you LaPastenaque, only Mac's are elegant enough to choose the best signal and swap accordingly!

Thanks again for your help you two!!

Two SSID's (and separate passwords) with Time Capsule 2TB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.