Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't my iPhone4 mirror with my HDTV via AppleTV?

AirPlay Mirroring works with my iPad2, Macbook Air mid-2011 on my HDTV via my new 3rd Generation AppleTV, but not with my iPhone4 (iOS 5.1.1). The AirPlay icon appears but only streams music, no mirroring. Ideas, anyone? Thanks.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 11:03 PM

7 replies

Sep 18, 2012 6:36 AM in response to JohnNovember

When only sounds goes out, it is often related to the apps itself blocking the video. A few TV apps are trying to prevent you from watching the content on the big screen.

Pay attention to see if the AirPlay icon show a little speaker in it instead of the display. Try the mirroring with another app running to verify if it is indeed app related.

Dec 10, 2012 1:40 PM in response to Shahface

Hi Shahface,

If you phone doesn't meet the requirement today, I don't think it will ever in the future. It's the opposite way; older devices will support less and less of new release options as the usually require more powerfull hardware.

At some point in time, you will have to upgrade your device in order to get the mirroring function.

May 17, 2014 12:44 PM in response to Brand0nk

Look at this

Apple

Store

Mac

iPod

iPhone

iPad

iTunes

Support

Languages

iOS: Use AirPlay to wirelessly stream content

Use AirPlay to stream music, photos, and video wirelessly to Apple TV and other AirPlay-enabled devices that are on the same Wi-Fi network as your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

What you need

To use AirPlay, you need the following:

iPhone 4 (or later), iPad, iPad mini, or iPod touch (4th generation or later)

For videos or photos: Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation)

For music: Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation), AirPort Express, or AirPlay-enabled speakers or receivers

You can also use AirPlay with iTunes.

Connect to Wi-Fi

Connect your iOS device and Apple TV or AirPort Express to the same Wi-Fi network.

Enable AirPlay

You can use AirPlay across any apps and content that allow AirPlay. AirPlay will stay on until you turn it off, so you can keep using it across various apps.

To enable AirPlay:

Swipe up from the bottom of your screen to access Control Center.

Tap AirPlay.

See what to do if you don't see the AirPlay icon.

Choose your device

Tap the name of the device you want to AirPlay to.

For videos and photos, choose Apple TV.

For music, choose Apple TV, AirPort Express, or AirPlay-enabled speakers or receivers.

Tap Done.

The icons of a TV screen or speaker next to each AirPlay device show the type of media content you can stream to that device. See what to do if you don't see your device in the list.

Enjoy

Now when you're viewing content in Photos, Videos, or the Safari app, it will be streamed to your Apple TV. Or if you're playing audio in the Music or Safari app, it will be streamed to your AirPlay-enabled device.

Learn more

Use AirPlay Mirroring to mirror exactly what's on your screen.

See what to do if you need help with AirPlay Mirroring.

Next

Additional Information

If your device isn't using iOS 7

Important: Information about products not manufactured by Apple is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute Apple’s recommendation or endorsement. Please contact the vendor for additional information.

Last Modified: Jan 22, 2014

Helpful?Yes No

Related

Apple TV: Basic troubleshooting

Resolve network or streaming issues If you're streaming content from a computer or iOS device using Airplay or Home Sharing, try these steps:

About Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation) software updates

Apple TV Software Update 4.2 Feature Summary AirPlay for apps and websites Wirelessly stream video from iOS apps and websites that are enabled for AirPlay , on an iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch running iOS 4.3. MLB.TV* Watch live and on-demand Major League Baseball games in HD with an MLB.TV subscription. Pause, rewind, fast-forward, and switch between the home and away broadcast.

iMovie for iOS (iPad): Use AirPlay to stream video to your HDTV

If you have Apple TV and a high-definition television (HDTV), you can watch your iMovie projects on your TV using AirPlay . AirPlay uses wireless technology to stream movies to your TV.

How do I enable airplay on ios7?

Legend This solved my question - 10 points This helped me

Airplay with Airport Express - No sound when trying to play music from iPad

So I have updated everything. I have an Airport Express and an iPad with the newest iOS . I have music on my iPad which i tried to stream via AirPlay but no sound comes out.

Airplay from iPad

To AirPlay video or photo content to your Apple TV 1. Connect your iOS device and Apple TV to the same Wi-Fi network. 2. Open the Videos, Safari or Photos app on your device.

Additional Product Support Information

iPhone Apple TV iPad iPod touch

Contact Apple Support

Need more help? Save time by starting your support request online and we'll connect you to an expert.

Get started

HomeSupport Shop the Apple Online Store (1-800-MY-APPLE), visit an Apple Retail Store, or find a reseller. Apple InfoSite MapHot NewsRSS FeedsContact Us

Copyright © 2014 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.

Terms of UsePrivacy Policy. Found it on the apple website

Why doesn't my iPhone4 mirror with my HDTV via AppleTV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.