Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dropped iPod. Now it refuses to copy songs!

I've owned a 2005 iPod Mini (or shuffle?) for awhile now, and it's been pretty sturdy up until now. Fiddling with things in a rush, i dropped it on concrete (for the last time) and when i tried listening to songs on it, it didn't play more than half of them and after struggling on a few it'd just skip to another. These songs were playing prior to me dropping it.

I plugged it into my computer and opened iTunes. I was just going to replace all the songs (thinking i simply corrupted the song-data). Well, most of the ones it was refusing to play won't copy to the ipod saying "Cannot copy specified file because file cannot be found". It's playable on my iTunes but gives me the same message everry time i try to copy them. I've even tried dragging the song directly from the location its at and at that point it simply didn't copy at all with no error message. Alternatively, whenever i plug my ipod in, it works extremely slow, and i cannot eject it. Attemtping to use a proepr ejection does not work at all: ejecting from iTunes causes my iTunes AND iPod to freeze (in which i need to wait for the ipod to die). Attempting to eject from devices just doesn't do anything at all.

I am really hoping i don't have to replace this. I've already restored to defaults but that didn't work. Hopefully there's something else i can do? Any help is appreciated.

iPod shuffle, Windows 7

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 4:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 5:46 AM

It sounds like the hard drive might have been damaged from the fall. You can try a low level reformat of the iPod's hard disk using the instructions on this page.

http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/ipodsupport/erase/

As for the problem files not syncing, try removing and re-importing the tracks in iTunes.

B-rock

7 replies

Sep 18, 2012 7:15 AM in response to planb77

That sounds great and all, but it looks like i need to issue a command from the devices manager or C: drive. Well, whenever i right-click on the ipod in either of those locations there's a long wait of about 5 seconds, then the drop-down list blinks for a second. I never get a chance to issue a command from the drop-down box. And i thought ipods ran flash-memory? Not disk drives (i suppose since it's older).

Sep 20, 2012 7:02 AM in response to planb77

I did a restore to factory defaults on both the C:/ and iTunes. The same issues occured. It seems after i download about 500-600mb of audio, it cannot download any more and begins to slow and cause errors. I presume that part of the hard disk got damaged. For now i'll just download a few songs of what i normally listen to, seems i'll have to buy a new ipod! Thanks for your help though.

Dropped iPod. Now it refuses to copy songs!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.