Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to set up TWO airport express on a network

hi,

i have an airport express connected via ethernet cable to my DSL modem but the range of the airport does not cover my entire house.

I just bought a second airport express so that I can extend the range.

Does anyone know how i get the two aiport express to work together / find each other so that i can extend my range?

My current set up is DSL modem and one airport express connected by ethernet cable to the DSL modem. Now I would like to extend the range of the first airport express with the second airport express.

So far i cannot find the second / new express via airport utility.

Thank you,

Wayne

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 5:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 5:45 AM

Are you using OS X 10.6.1 as your profile indicates?

How old is the "main" AirPort Express? If you look at the label on the side of the "main" AirPort Express, what Model No do you see there?

16 replies

Sep 18, 2012 6:07 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob,

Thanks for reply.

I am on OS 10.6.8 using an iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

The original / main / connected to modem Airport Express is an A1264, the new one is also an A1264.

The new one is not showing up in the list in the Airport Utility. It is plugged in and showing a continuous orange light. I have reset it via a paperclip.

Thank again,

Wayne

Sep 18, 2012 6:25 AM in response to Nut Case

It is plugged in and showing a continuous orange light.

That light should be blinking slowly about 30 seconds after start up. If the light stays solid amber, the Express has locked up....or it may be defective.

Try a Factory Default Reset to see if it can be rescued.

Power off the Express and leave it off for 15-20 minutes

Hold in the reset button first, and continue to hold it in for another 9-10 seconds while you simultaneously plug the Express back in to power

Release the reset button after the hold period to allow the Express to restart

The Express should stay solid amber for approximately 30seconds, then begin to slowly blink amber.

Post back on your results.

Sep 18, 2012 6:58 AM in response to Nut Case

Power off the new Express for now, because you must first check settings on your "main" Express.

Open AirPort Utility, select the "main" Express and click Manual Setup

Click the Wireless tab below the row of icons

Make sure that there is a check mark in the box next to "Allow this network to be extended"

Jot down the exact setting that you see for Wireless Security and the Wireless Network Name because you will need them to setup the new Express

Click Update to save any changes

Post back when you have done this and we will get the new Express working.

User uploaded file

Sep 18, 2012 7:23 AM in response to Nut Case

Now temporarily locate the new Express in the same room or area as the main Express for the setup.

Power up the new Express and give a full minute to slowly blink amber

Open AirPort Utility, select the new Express and click Manual Setup. Allow AirPort Utility to "switch" networks when you see the prompt

Click the Base Station tab just below the icons and enter device name for the new Express that you want to use along with a device password. Adjust Time Zone settings as needed. No other boxes need to be checked.

User uploaded file

Click the Wireless tab and adjust settings as follows:

Wireless Mode = Extend a wireless network

Wireless Network Name = Same name as your main network

Check mark entered next to Allow wireless clients

Wireless Security = Same setting as the main AirPort Express

Wireless Password = Same password as the main AirPort Express

Verify Password

Click Update

Close AirPort Utility as soon as you see the message that the settings have been stored. Wait a full minute while the Express restarts to a green light

Locate the Express about half the distance from the "main" Express and the general area that needs more wireless coverage and power it back up.

User uploaded file

Dec 19, 2012 8:02 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Great, I was looking for exactly the same information.

I need to set this up at my fathers home soon, I would probably waste a lot of time without your valuable help.

Thanks Bob !

Two more questions though

1) I guess the above also applies to the new A1392 model? (you were asking about the model number earlier)

2) Aside from extended range function, the secondary airport express needs to be connected to a HiFi amplifier, for Airplay use. I guess this doesn't require any additional setup? Will there be two airport express detected by iTunes, or only one?

(My fathers iMac (2008) runs OSX 10.6.8 )

Dec 19, 2012 9:15 PM in response to --A--C--

1) I guess the above also applies to the new A1392 model? (you were asking about the model number earlier)

This woud apply to AirPort Express models A1394 and A1264.

2) Aside from extended range function, the secondary airport express needs to be connected to a HiFi amplifier, for Airplay use. I guess this doesn't require any additional setup?

No addiitonal setup is required. The Express is automatically enabled for AirPlay.

Will there be two airport express detected by iTunes, or only one?

The only Express that will be detected by iTunes is the Express that has an amplifier and speakers attached.

Dec 20, 2012 9:47 AM in response to Nut Case

Do you happen to know if this approach can be used in a similar manner if the network you want to extend is using a Linksys router already? I've got an older A1143 Airport Extreme Base Station that I'd like to use to extend an existing wifi network using a Linksys WRT54GL router. If I can confirm that the Linksys router can be "extended" do you think I can use the Airport to extend it or does Apple only play with Apple?

how to set up TWO airport express on a network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.