Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfering itunes data from one user to another

So I have to create a new user on my mac due to an error in outlook, and after trying everything I've been told this is the only way to fix it.

Big pain in the backside as it means transfering all files from the current user, but the biggest pain is my itunes.

My current itunes media folder is all neat and in order, so I was wondering if there is a way I can transfer this to the new account without itunes having to reimportant and potentially copy files to a new location when I already have a folder i want to use as is?

I've done the usual location of the folder stuff, but nothing has appeared in itunes and I don't want to import files in fear of duplications of existing files and doubling my library on my computer uneccessarily!

If anyone can help with this I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Peter

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 8:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 9:39 AM

Big pain in the backside as it means transfering all files from the current user, but the biggest pain is my itunes.

All of this is very, very, very simple.

Simply copy (not move) the entire /Music/iTunes/ folder from one user to /Music/ in the other user.

And you can do the same with all your other data. After you make sure everything works in the new account (which is why you copy, not move the files), you can delete the old account.

See this -> Transferring files from one account to another on the same Mac

"You can use your Shared folder:

1. Log in to the account you wish to copy files from.
  2. In the Finder, navigate to the Shared folder. It is located in the Users folder.
  3. Copy any files or folders you wish to the Shared folder, such as items on your desktop, in your Documents folder, in your Music folder, and so forth. You may be asked to enter an administrator password when copying certain items. Note: To ensure that you copy items (as opposed to moving items), hold the Option key as you drag files to the Shared folder. Depending on item permissions, some files or folders will copy by default, some may move by default.
  4. Log out of the current account.
  5. Log in to the new account (that you are transferring files to).
  6. In the Finder, navigate to the Shared folder. It is located in the Users folder.
  7. Copy any files or folders you wish from the Shared folder to the desired locations, such as desktop, Documents folder, Music folder, and so forth. You may be asked to enter an administrator password when copying certain items."
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2012 9:39 AM in response to peterwrudd

All of this is very, very, very simple.

Simply copy (not move) the entire /Music/iTunes/ folder from one user to /Music/ in the other user.

And you can do the same with all your other data. After you make sure everything works in the new account (which is why you copy, not move the files), you can delete the old account.

See this -> Transferring files from one account to another on the same Mac

"You can use your Shared folder:

1. Log in to the account you wish to copy files from.
  2. In the Finder, navigate to the Shared folder. It is located in the Users folder.
  3. Copy any files or folders you wish to the Shared folder, such as items on your desktop, in your Documents folder, in your Music folder, and so forth. You may be asked to enter an administrator password when copying certain items. Note: To ensure that you copy items (as opposed to moving items), hold the Option key as you drag files to the Shared folder. Depending on item permissions, some files or folders will copy by default, some may move by default.
  4. Log out of the current account.
  5. Log in to the new account (that you are transferring files to).
  6. In the Finder, navigate to the Shared folder. It is located in the Users folder.
  7. Copy any files or folders you wish from the Shared folder to the desired locations, such as desktop, Documents folder, Music folder, and so forth. You may be asked to enter an administrator password when copying certain items."

Transfering itunes data from one user to another

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.