Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes reports file could not be found

Whenever I try to synch my iPod, iTunes does two things:

1. It reports several "file not found" errors; the filenames look like they were possibly pictures (and maybe this is connected to #2, below)

2. It reports that Drive H: is unavailable...which it is. I don't know why it thinks it should be looking there.

I cannot find anywhere in the iTunes library where these missing files exist...so I cannot delete them. And, I cannot find any way to get iTunes to stop trying to find a Drive H: on my PC!

iPod classic, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 9:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 10:41 AM

Try trashing your iPod's Photo cache and resyncing your iPod. See here for information on what the Photo Cache is and where to find in on your system.

iTunes: Understanding the iPod Photo Cache folder

Does iTunes report that the H: drive is missing or is this message coming from your Windows OS? Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to also change your iPod's drive letter.

Windows confuses iPod with network drive or hard drive and may keep iPod from mounting or songs may seem to disappear

B-rock

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2012 10:41 AM in response to LarryB34695

Try trashing your iPod's Photo cache and resyncing your iPod. See here for information on what the Photo Cache is and where to find in on your system.

iTunes: Understanding the iPod Photo Cache folder

Does iTunes report that the H: drive is missing or is this message coming from your Windows OS? Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to also change your iPod's drive letter.

Windows confuses iPod with network drive or hard drive and may keep iPod from mounting or songs may seem to disappear

B-rock

Sep 18, 2012 11:28 AM in response to planb77

Thanks. I think you are right about the missing Drive H: being a Windows message, and, yes, that is the drive letter that the iPod occupies...so it may just be a spurious error out of Windows.

I have never moved anything but Music to this ipod, and I cannot find any folders on any drives named "iPod Photo Cache", or anything like it, And, I do not have Photo synch turned on in my iTunes settings/preferences. :-(

Any further thoughts on why iTunes thinks I want these files, and where I moight find the iTunes databse entry to delete?

Sep 18, 2012 2:07 PM in response to planb77

Thanks for the reply. I think I have solved this problem. I decided to export the library, which created an XML file. I pulled that file into NotePad++, searching for the names that were being reported as missing. I found one that was listed as a video; I don't do videos on my iPod, so that is strange...in fact, I don't even dispaly the menu choice. So, I turned on "Movies" in the menuing, selected it, and...viola, there were the entries. I deleted them, and the problem with those references went away.

I can only guess that at some point, I tried to view these items from, for example, Windows Explorer, and iTunes had the file association for it....and added it to the library.

Thanks for the help on the other Drive H: issue; I still have that error cropping up, but I can ignore it, and perhaps eventually figure out how to get Windows to stop complaining.

Larry

itunes reports file could not be found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.