Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I buy an unlocked, contract free Iphone 5 in Europe, will I be able to use it with a US carrier?

The topic says all really, Iphone 4s and 5 both have GSM and CDMA capabilities and it's supposed to be a world phone and blah blah, but, if i buy one unlocked 4s or 5 from Europe ( contract free) will I be able to use it with say ATT?

I'm confused about this though:

"

About the Unlocked iPhone

The unlocked iPhone includes all the features of iPhone but without a contract commitment. You can activate and use it on the supported GSM wireless network of your choice, such as AT&T in the United States. The unlocked iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S will not work with CDMA-based carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint." ( Link http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/iphone4s)

iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 10:19 AM

2 replies

Sep 18, 2012 10:40 AM in response to Vilje

AT&T and europe all use GSM . There is no CDMA in Europe

A genuine unlocked iPhone 4/4S from Europe will work fine

A similar unlocked iP5 will work on 3G but NOT on 4G as the

European iP5 does not have the 4G bands suitable for use in US

and the warranty will not be valid in the US it is not international

If I buy an unlocked, contract free Iphone 5 in Europe, will I be able to use it with a US carrier?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.