Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn off mail notifications?

I already went to System Preferences > Notifications and set Mail Alert Style to "none" and also unchecking notification center, badge app icon and sound options.

Despite taking these steps, the mail icon in my dock displays a "new email" light and dings whenever I receive a new email.

I don't want these things to happen because they are distracting to my productivity.

How can I disable this?

Thanks!

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 9:46 AM

24 replies

Nov 30, 2017 1:55 PM in response to rh1n0cer0s

My question is with Mac Mail and Google Calendar. I have several email addresses connected to Mac Mail and several calendars in Google. Even though I have turned off automatic notifications on all the email accounts and all my calendars I still get emails in my Yahoo mailbox for every event I make in my Google calendar, whether I ask for a notification or not. The emails appear with "Alert - (event name)" in the subject line. Anyone know how to turn these off?

Feb 13, 2018 8:38 AM in response to jaw444

Now it's 2018 and I'm still struggling with this.

I've done all of the above, and Mail app still insists on clanging its bell every time a new batch of mail comes in.

I've been trying to find out why the ****** preferences panel won't open, to turn it off there, but I can't get any satistfaction with that either, after days of searching, and rebooting in safe mode, etc etc.

I finally tried

defaults write com.apple.mail PlayMailSounds 0

in the Terminal, but even that doesn't seem to have worked. I am starting to think that Mail is not even paying any attention to its own defaults or properties.

Fwiw, I figured out the name of the property with

defaults read com.apple.mail | grep -i play

It's really astounding that such a basic simple USER DEMAND would be ignored, or denied through either a lingering bug, or a UX fail on Apple's part.

Guess I'll stick with Google Inbox in Firefox.

P

How do I turn off mail notifications?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.