Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Am I really too late for the free Mountain Lion upgrade?

Hi,

I bought my new MBP retina on June 13th, and just discovered I should've ordered Mountain Lion before August 26th.
Is it really true I have no chance of getting a free upgrade to Mountain Lion anymore?

I just can't imagine this being true. 30 days is not a long time (I was on vacation for 3 weeks in August!), and I've
never gotten a message or an alert from Apple to order within 30 days when it came out.

I hope someone can enlighten me.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 11:52 AM

20 replies

Sep 18, 2012 12:07 PM in response to Sim1dePim1

Sim1dePim1 wrote:

... Sherlock :')
I know what it says, just can't imagine them saying "Even though you bought yours recently and paid loads; you can't have it. Go spend money."

I guess I'll just try anyway.

You were the one who asked the question, I wasted my time giving you the answer that is EASY to find if you would do a little bit of research yourself 😠.

Sep 18, 2012 12:16 PM in response to Sim1dePim1

There was a clear time stated during which you were eligible for a free upgrade. If you did not claim the upgrade during that time, then it was not something you "should have gotten for free". Many programs have a deadline before which you must apply to claim any upgrade, rebate, bonus promotion, etc. If you fail, for whatever reason, to apply during that deadline, you'll get turned down by everyone and would not be entitled to anything else. Running these promotions is not free to the relevant company; they have to pay significant amounts of money to handle all the necessary processing, so almost everyone puts on a deadline.

And yes, sorry, but there's nothing you can do about it. Buy the upgrade or stay with Lion. Your computer will work perfectly well just as it was out of the box, which was all you were promised at the time you bought it.

Regards.

Sep 21, 2012 6:11 AM in response to Sim1dePim1

I just found out about the August 24 deadline for upgrading products purchased in June. I'm amazed that this is Apple's SOP. Couldn't they have just sent a link to download the upgrade to registered users? Did they really need a hard copy of the receipt which I printed off of their own website? How did Apple become the largest corporation in market cap with this kind of lame service?

I have asked Apple to provide me the original wording of the advertisements and terms of their promotion...not holding my breath. Otherwise, I have asked them to return their product. Sadly, Apple has become the Goliath they did such a good of toppling.

Sep 21, 2012 6:16 AM in response to varjak paw

So, if you relied on a free engine upgrade from your car dealership and they hid the 30 day deadline for upgrade in the fine print, you would be okay with being denied an upgrade 1 day past the deadline? To add insult to injury, what if they did not warn you of the approaching deadline, and requiring you to submit a receipt they already have on file?

In any case, just as you point out that Apple can be super strict and non-customer friendly about the promotion they used to induce people to purchase their products, those of us who are unhappy can make our unhappiness be known. Companies like Apple will never change their ridiculous, greedy policies unless their profitability is threatened.

Am I really too late for the free Mountain Lion upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.