Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do not stack new versions anymore!

I use the automatic stacking of new versions for years and, suddenly, it does not work anymore : the editing is done on the master photo itself.

The settings seems good.

This problem makes my workflow much more difficult as you can guess. Has somebody an idea ?

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 3:56 PM

8 replies

Sep 19, 2012 2:18 AM in response to avk

I am not sure what the problem is exactly: What do you mean by " the editing is done on the master photo itself."

All editing in Aperure is supposed to be done on a version. Do you mean you are editing the first version - or are you by any chance editing the original/master file using an external editor?

Sep 19, 2012 2:37 AM in response to léonie

Indeed. I experimented the following :

1. When I ask "Duplicate the version" (Dupliquer la copie de travail), the new version is correctly placed in a stack with the first one.

2. When I edit a photo, the versions are not stacked and the only way to go back to the original picture is to ask "Back to the master" (Revenir à l'original) in the contextual menu.

Sep 19, 2012 3:19 AM in response to avk

Now I see what you mean:

With both options set, that Kirby Krieger mentioned

"Aperture➞Preferences➞General➞Automatically stack new versions", and

"Aperture➞Preferences➞Advanced➞Create new versions when making adjustments".

automatically a new version version will be created and stacked, whenever I add an adjustment. But that sequence gets broken, when I manually create a new version. When I start to edit this version all further edits are applied to this one version and no new versions are created and stacked.

I am not sure if that is supposed to be a bug or a feature 😕 - Kirby, what do you think? For me it looks like you can have only a fully automatic stacking, if you refrain from using "duplicate version". Once you create new versions on your own, you have to create new versions each time before you start editing and to manually stack the versions.

2. When I edit a photo, the versions are not stacked and the only way to go back to the original picture is to ask "Back to the master" (Revenir à l'original) in the contextual menu.

You can stack the versions on your own and you can undo the adjustments one by one, by unchecking them in the adjustment panel.

Regards

Léonie

Sep 19, 2012 8:07 AM in response to léonie

Not a bug.

Create new version when making adjustments only applies to the original (or version 1). Think about it; if this applied to all versions (after v1) each time you touched any control in the adjustment tab a new version would be created. It would be like the sorcerers apprentice, an infinite number of versions marching off into the night!

How would Aperture handle it? If adjustments are made within 1 min of each other no new version is created as this is a single editing session but if more then 1 min passes we make a new version as this is a new editing session? 😝

After further review I was not quite right. The new version is created if you adjust version 1 (the original) OR if you adjust a version that was created by duplicate version OR adjust a version created by New version from master.

A little less intuitive then I first thought but still seems more correct to me then making new version each time you touch an adjustment.

Message was edited by: Frank Caggiano

Sep 19, 2012 8:12 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Yes, that makes sense - just that the name of this option does not suggest the restriction to the first version.

It would be like the sorcerers apprentice, an infinite number of versions marching off into the night!

Well, Aperture should be able to handle an exponential increase of version numbers for ten iterations or so, shouldn't it - as a Pro App 😁 😝?

Sep 20, 2012 5:38 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

You got it!

The problem was a (not so) small change in my workflow : I added the application of an effect during the importation... and this adjustement takes less than1 min!

So, I just deleted this automatism and I am now back in my lost paradise.

(Well, the possibility to adjust the 1 min delay would be nice...)

Thank you very much, Frank and leonieDF!

Do not stack new versions anymore!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.