Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i connect a printer via ethernet?

greetings.

i run an imac intel core duo circa 2006 with osx 10.7.4 and i would like to connect a sharp al-1655cs printer/copier/scanner directly to the mac. first off, i know sharp doesn't have a mac driver for this machine; but i'm hoping i can come up with some sort of "plain vanilla" solution. i've tried to establish the connection via usb and ethernet with no results. via usb, the mac identifies the sharp, thinks it delivers a print job, and 10 minutes later declares the job complete with no actual output. via ethernet, i'm not able to add an acceptable ip address (the one given on the side of the machine 080014 6d3efc -- which i've tried in groups of two, three and four separated by periods or colons). i do have a wifi router and could patch the printer into that but, frankly, i'd like to avoid buying a 20' ethernet cable. i've looked far and wide across the interweb and am not finding any help specific to direct ethernet cabling a printer to a mac running running 10.7.4. i'm pretty tech-capable, so don't be shy suggesting solutions. any help to get this going would be appreciated.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 4:43 PM

7 replies

Sep 18, 2012 4:51 PM in response to squidna

You listed specifications are wrong.

First of all you posted in the PowerPC forum with the claim that you have a PowerPC iMac in your profile but z PowerPC processor is incapable of running 10.7.4.

Likewise you go on to claim that you have an Intel Core Duo cira 2006 which is also incapable of running 10.7.4.

Do you think you can get your story straight so that we can help you?

As it now stands I see no way to help you at all.

Allan

Jan 21, 2013 12:31 PM in response to squidna

" i'm not able to add an acceptable ip address (the one given on the side of the machine 080014 6d3efc -- which i've tried in groups of two, three and four separated by periods or colons). "

That is not an ip address. It should be something like 192.168. x.y, where x and y are numbers like 2 and 124. Check your manual for instructions on setting / retrieving the ip. With many printers there is a sequence of button pushing, power on / off etc. that gets the printer to spit out a sheet with the settings. The ip should be on there.

can i connect a printer via ethernet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.