Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best anti virus software to use with OS X 10.8?

What is the best anti virus software to use with OS X 10.8? Norton is slowing my iMac down and I'm constantly being bombarded by blocking messages for programs I don't recognize.

Thanks

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 5:22 PM

12 replies

Sep 18, 2012 5:31 PM in response to waderjake

Get rid of Norton a/k/a Symantec. It is one of the worst pieces of trash you can install on a Mac.

You do not need any additional anti-virus software than is already designed into OS X to protect your Mac against malware. I assume you paid enough for your iMac and that's part of what you paid.

If you use Windows, or are concerned about harboring viruses that target Windows, or care about friends who use Windows, then get ClamXav. It's in the App Store and it is free.

Since friends don't let friends use Windows, I have no use for it.

Oct 16, 2012 7:22 PM in response to waderjake

Here's a direct answer to your question..

ClamXAV is free (you get what you paid for)

Notron (Never experienced any problems)

Intego Virus Barrier X6 (A British company that offers virus, mail, and some interent/network security features)

Kaspersky (A Russian company that sources technology around the globe.. Hmm. )

Admittedly there hasn't been many MacOS malware problems but there have been problems and even Kaspersky believes these probems will grow.

.. you have to make your own choice.. especially if you run Windows as a VM.

Oct 16, 2012 7:23 PM in response to waderjake

Uninstall Norton ASAP.

"Mac OS X versions 10.6.7 and later have built-in detection of known Mac malware in downloaded files. The recognition database is automatically updated once a day; however, you shouldn't rely on it, because the attackers are always at least a day ahead of the defenders. In most cases, there’s no benefit from any other automated protection against malware."

Oct 16, 2012 8:03 PM in response to waderjake

Symantec's latest version is really quite nice. We use it for both Macs and PCs in the enterprise I work for.

That said, I echo many of the comments above. If you are not using your machine for work or in a mixed-use environment, I generally discourage installing antivirus on a Mac. There are no true viruses out there for Mac, and the few pieces of Malware that do exist are fairly easy to avoid.

Don't pirate software. Don't type in your administrator password if prompted from a website you don't trust.

What is the best anti virus software to use with OS X 10.8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.