Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old iMac,new solid state drive?

Is it possible to replace the hard drive in my 2008 Intel iMac with a newer solid state drive?

Processor 2.66 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 4GB 667 Mhz DR2 SDRAM

Graphics ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB

Software OSX 10.8.1 (12B19)

Thanks!

<Image Edited by Host to Remove Serial Number>

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 6:07 PM

16 replies

Sep 18, 2012 9:22 PM in response to Randy Allen

I have successfully upgraded my 2008 iMac with a 128GB SSD from Crucial. There are iFixit videos that show the process. It wasn't as bad as the newer 2009 and up units that have the temp sensor built into the drive, this was external and was easily moved to the SSD. The LCD panel was the hardest part as the connections on the left side were incredibly short and not marked, they unplugged themselves. Luckily my guess was correct when I reattached the connectors. The performance is very good and it boots and launches Apps very fast. Of course the machine itself is close to the bottom of the pile when compared to newer models but with 6GB of RAM and the SSD it performs good enough for its age. I'm quite certain I'll be happy with the performance for a couple more years. Make sure you do a thorough cleaning of the entire interior as long as its open. Those fan impellors get a built up coating of dust on them and this is a good time to address that issue as the MtLion OS demands more than the older OSs and that means more heat. You should also consider a FireWire 800 External HD for file storage and another for bacup. Good Luck.

Sep 18, 2012 9:36 PM in response to babowa

I was looking for a SSD and this Forum led me to OWC and Crucial. Crucial had the compatible SSD drive so I went with them. I just recently swapped out a 120GB SSD in my son's MBA to a 256MB from OWC and by the speed test we ran it is about 30% faster across the board. That upgrade was a breeze compared to the iMac.😁

Sep 19, 2012 5:31 PM in response to Randy Allen

Remember that if your system has a problem - and you said it slowed down before you went to 10.8 - no upgrade (software or hardware) is going to solve your problem. You need to deal with the problem first; otherwise your OS upgrade may exhibit more problems - exascerbated by the upgrade. So, depending on the cause of your problem(s), an SSD will not solve it.

May 5, 2014 11:25 PM in response to Randy Allen

This is an old thread, but to help anyone who wants to try.

Just updated my second "older" intel Mac to Mavericks and an SSD. I used the Samsung EVO 840 with 250GB for both.

Upgraded a Mid-2007 iMac 7,1 20" to 6GB of RAM and the SSD and it's working great with 10.9.2!

Also upgraded an Early 2008 MacBook Pro 4,1 to 4GB of RAM and SSD and it has been working great with 10.9.2 for more than 3 months.

Both machines have a noticeable speed increase and responsivness from the SSD. The MBP uses SATA I connection and so is limited to about 135mb/sec read/write but the SSD is still noticably faster and easier on the battery than my 7200rpm Hybrid Momentus XT. The iMac is SATA II and so I am getting about 250mb/sec write and 269mb/sec read.

If you are upgrading the iMac, be sure to get a full size carrier! you'll need it to handle the 3.5 inch cap left by the old hard drive. And make sure it's as long as a 3.5inch hard drive as well. NewerTechnology's Adaptadrive worked perfect.

May 24, 2014 9:10 PM in response to uknick2

Hi Nick,

I'm sure you "could" just double sided tape it - but I would fear it interferes with the air flow around other components/out the back slot. Plus, not sure the wires will reach, though they might be able to.

I used the NewerTechnologies Adaptadrive unit. It works perfectly and holds the SSD firmly. The little circuit board on the adapter just lines the SATA ports up perfectly with there they would be for a 3.5 inch drive. Was super simple, and I know the SSD won't come loose behind my screen. Be sure to get a full size adapatet like this. The little blue ones OWC also sells don't have the length needed for Apple's mounting brackets.

Here's the link, and I'll attach a photo of it pre-install and post install with the temp sensor back on.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/ADPTADRV/

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Old iMac,new solid state drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.