Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Server to Sync My Home Folders

Will it be prohibitive amount of work to set up OS X Server so that the Document folder on my main user account on my MBP syncs with the Documents folder of my main user account on my MP, which is running OS X Server (ML)?

I've been doing something similar with Synchronize! X Plus, which doesn't really run in the background. Now that I've got OS X Server up and running (after weeks of struggling with it), I've discovered that in order to make this work I have to delete my main user accounts (I presume on both the MBP and the MP) to convert them to networked accounts.

I'm very hesitant to delete my existing main user account, and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on the feesability of this project. Thanks!

Mac Pro, OS X Server, 2009 2.66 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 6:10 PM

10 replies

Sep 18, 2012 7:55 PM in response to Engender

Portable Home Directories are what you want for this. Make sure the user is created on the server (Network node). Set the appropriate syncing options in WGM (e.g. if you want to just sync the Documents folder). Next, go to the client machine and under "Login Options" add your server to "Network Account Server". On next login for that account, you should get the option to sync. I'd backup the data just in case before hand, but if my memory serves, like future syncs, you are given the option to select the diffs between accounts during synchronization. "Select All" from the client account.

Sep 19, 2012 8:34 AM in response to JaimeMagiera

Right. I think I have an idea how to accomplish it. I was hoping someone with some experience using portable home directories might comment on the wisdom of basically having a Mac Pro and a Macbook Pro with nothing but portable home directories, but for an Administrator account. Also, I was hoping someone could comment on the difficulty of transforming existing non-portable accounts into portable accounts.

Finally, could someone comment on the feasability of just syncing the Documents folder, and not other home folders?

Thanks!

Sep 19, 2012 8:47 AM in response to Engender

Well, from a technical perspective, the functionality works with as many accounts as the server hardware and network can handle. I used to use PHDs extensively. Your considerations are 1) how often will the machine be on a reasonable network connection to sync? 2). What is the size of the data in the documents folder? Both of these are based on your personal usage. So, the wisdom of the decision to use PHDs is relative to your needs.

I've explained the process above of converting existing accounts. Are you familiar with how to follow those steps? (e.g. are you familiar with configuring syncing in WGM?). The difficulty is relative to your knowledge on how to execute those steps. Lastly, as noted in my comment, you can set what part of the home folder gets synced.

Perhaps we should start at the beginning... Have you opened up WGM and looked at the settings for syncing? Do you understand how they work?

Sep 19, 2012 7:10 PM in response to JaimeMagiera

Do you understand how they work?

Lol. Yes, I have opened up the WGM. I *think* I understand how it all works, but I am experienced enough to know that there is a difference between understanding and thinking one understands.

I have gotten as far as downloading the certificates on my laptop, at which point I learned that such certificates are only applicable for network accounts.

Jamie, do you understand that I do not want to create network accounts, or PHDs as you call them, out of nothing? What I'm contemplating is converting my existing user account into a network account, so that I may sync my documents folder between laptop and desktop when my laptop is connected to my home wireless network.

Apple's instructions on how to accomplish this seem daunting. I was hoping someone with experince in converting non-network user accounts to network user accounts could comment on the difficulty of this process.

Jamie, maybe you can tell me: would the PHDs sync documents so that the most recent version of a, say, Word DOC was the one retained? Say, if I worked on XX.doc on my laptop on a Tuesday and XY.doc on the following Wednesday, finally connecting my lapop to my home network on that Friday, would it retain the most recent version of XX.doc and XY.doc?

Sep 19, 2012 7:45 PM in response to Engender

These instructions look fine. As isolated tasks, these are common administrative functions performed on OSX clients and servers. So, you'll learn a bit in the process about how the overall process works. Some of the steps I've outlined in the message above (e.g. binding the client to the server via the "Use Network Account Server"). As long as you backup the data ahead of time, this process is non-destructive. I can walk you through each one.

Can I ask what your server/admin experience is?

In terms of your question: Syncing generally goes client => server. In other words, when you plug your laptop into the network on Friday and run a sync, the updates made to the documents get sent to the server. In the cases where a newer version of a file is on the server, as opposed to the client, you will get a dialog asking to select which one to choose (which I alluded to above). Does that help? Were you planning on ever making changes to a document on the server side? (i.e. logging into the MP and working directly).

Sep 19, 2012 7:50 PM in response to JaimeMagiera

My server/admin experience involves two years of struggling to get OS X Server, first Lion and then Mountain Lion, to run on my MP. Granted, I was in school for something that was not network administration, and only had a few hours each week to devote to theory and trial & error.

I do anticipate making changes on the server-side document, which I would like to be synced to the laptop. This global syncing of documents is my main goal. My MP has two monitors, which is very helpful when writing research-intensive papers or briefs.

Do you know if the PHD syncing process uses rsync? I think the software I was using for this process, Qdea's Synchronize! Plus, was a GUI for rsync. If so, then rsync does the kind of updating I need.

Sep 20, 2012 1:35 PM in response to JaimeMagiera

JaimeMagiera wrote:

Set the appropriate syncing options in WGM (e.g. if you want to just sync the Documents folder).

Just a comment about Workgroup Manager. It's basically depreciated in Mountain Lion in favor of Profile Manager. Whether that's good or bad, I have no position.

Engender, I'm pretty much an OS X Server noob. I played with Lion Server a lot for months, got pretty close what I wanted, then ML came out. So I bit the bullet and went with ML. What you're trying to set up, i.e. a Portable Home Directory / Mobility that syncs only selective folders in your Home directory, I did with Profile Manager; I sync Documents, and some other select folders on my MBP to my Mini server.

It wasn't *that* bad, but as Jaime recommended it's best when dealing with it the first time to use a testuser or two to see how it works. I had the basics down but held off until I installed ML on my MBP. When I installed ML on MBP, I backed up my Lion install on my MBP to an external, wiped the HD, and installed ML fresh/clean on my MBP. I set up my everyday user at that point with a PHD/Mobility account. And tested evern more. Thereafter I just moved files from the external to the internal HD.

You could basically do something similar if the user account with a PHD is a new user. I usually make the first user on my Macs a local Administrator account, which isn't the one I use everyday. My everyday account is a non-Admin account.

Using Server to Sync My Home Folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.