Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet sharing via Bluetooth

So I use my ipad at work in a room without wi-fi? My mac pro has internet via eathernet. Can I use bluetooth to share the internet from my mac pro to my iPad 3 via bluetooth? If so, what is the proper wat to set up the sharing prefpane to get this working correct? I'm not having much luck. Also is there any changes I need to make to the ipad ofther than doing the pairing? My mac pro os running 10.8.1

Any help is appreacited,

Thanks,

Scott

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 6:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2014 1:44 AM

It works. You need to make it work, by assigning blutooth PAN a manually assigned ip address.

192.168.2.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 and in router address field 192.168.2.1, provide DNS as 8.8.8.8 and second dns 8.8.4.4. Of course enable the internet sharing beforehand.

Unpair and pair your ipad again.

I have not tried this with iPad but worked with a Nexus device.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2014 1:44 AM in response to Scott Carmichael

It works. You need to make it work, by assigning blutooth PAN a manually assigned ip address.

192.168.2.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 and in router address field 192.168.2.1, provide DNS as 8.8.8.8 and second dns 8.8.4.4. Of course enable the internet sharing beforehand.

I have not tried this with iPad but worked with a Nexus device.

Sep 19, 2012 9:45 AM in response to Philly_Phan

So I did get it to work and here is how:

Pair your ipad via bluetooth to your mac. Then on your ipad turn off WI-FI. Then on your mac, under sharing, select Internet Sharing. Then for the "Share your connection from" option, select ethernet. For the "To computers using:" opyion , select Bluetooth PAN. Then turn on internet shaying in the left column. WA LA, it works. Kinda slow, but makes but a lot better than nothing!

May 28, 2014 3:01 PM in response to viksclicks

Awesome! This does indeed work. I'm so happy I'm going to sum it up for people:

First do the above answer:

'Pair your ipad via bluetooth to your mac. Then on your ipad turn off WI-FI. Then on your mac, under sharing, select Internet Sharing. Then for the "Share your connection from" option, select ethernet. For the "To computers using:" opyion , select Bluetooth PAN. Then turn on internet shaying in the left column.'

Next go to Network preferences to do viksclicks answer. Click on Bluetooth Pan. Ignore everything except the "Advanced" button at the bottom.

IPv4 address: 192.168.2.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 and in router address field 192.168.2.1, provide DNS as 8.8.8.8 and second dns 8.8.4.4.

Also, BTW can choose "Share your connection from" WiFi instead of from Ethernet("land-line") in the first step if your mac connects via wifi. Wish I had had this a couple of weeks ago when I needed it

May 28, 2014 3:02 PM in response to Scott Carmichael

Scott Carmichael wrote:

So I did get it to work and here is how:

Pair your ipad via bluetooth to your mac. Then on your ipad turn off WI-FI. Then on your mac, under sharing, select Internet Sharing. Then for the "Share your connection from" option, select ethernet. For the "To computers using:" opyion , select Bluetooth PAN. Then turn on internet shaying in the left column. WA LA, it works. Kinda slow, but makes but a lot better than nothing!

Wow. Obviously I didn't think that it was possible.

Dec 16, 2014 8:29 AM in response to jamaicaplain2002

Just tried this with Yosemite 10.10.1 on MacBook Air and iOS 8 on iPad 3 works just fine, thanks guys

Feb 27, 2016 2:13 PM in response to jamaicaplain2002

I was very hesitant to try this (but sure want to!) : as I turn on ethernet sharing I get this from Mac: " if your computer is connected to a network, turing on ethernet sharing may affect the network settings of other computers and disrupt the network. Contact your sys admin before turning on internet sharing."

I live in a house with 1-2 other macs, and its a weekend...Dont want to mess with others computers...

Then, the instructions to configure Bluetooth PAN were not specific enough: "IPv4 address: 192.168.2.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 and in router address field 192.168.2.1, provide DNS as 8.8.8.8 and second dns 8.8.4.4...

Questions: Should l I be entering this into config manually? DNS wants 8 digits, not 2 with 4 each...

Wow, this would sure be a great thing to get working - we're not allowed wifi here...the enet to usb adapter-to powered hub to camera to ightening links did not work.

ipad 4, ios 9,2,1, MBP el cap latest.

Internet sharing via Bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.