Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i connect a printer via ethernet?

greetings.

i run an imac 20 inch late 2006 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running 10.7.4 and i would like to connect a sharp al-1655cs printer/copier/scanner directly to the mac. first off, i know sharp doesn't have a mac driver for this machine; but i'm hoping i can come up with some sort of "plain vanilla" solution. i've tried to establish the connection via usb and ethernet with no results. via usb, the mac identifies the sharp, thinks it delivers a print job, and 10 minutes later declares the job complete with no actual output. via ethernet, i'm not able to add an acceptable ip address (the one given on the side of the machine 080014 6d3efc -- which i've tried in groups of two, three and four separated by periods or colons). i do have a wifi router and could patch the printer into that but, frankly, i'd like to avoid buying a 20' ethernet cable. i've looked far and wide across the interweb and am not finding any help specific to direct ethernet cabling a printer to a mac running running 10.7.4. i'm pretty tech-capable, so don't be shy suggesting solutions. any help to get this going would be greatly appreciated.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 8:26 PM

4 replies

Sep 18, 2012 10:29 PM in response to squidna

Unfortunately, the software is only for Wintel machines. Sharp does state in its manual that the AL-1655CS can be used by Apple machines via the USB 2.0 port. But in reality, you need to be running Mac OS 10.3 and above to use the printing, network, and scanning applications native to OS X or through 3rd party applications, like Photoshop.

http://www.helium.com/items/1773396-sharp-cl-1655cs-printer-review?page=2

I think you may be out of luck though. 😟

Sep 19, 2012 8:06 AM in response to BDAqua

thanx bda. as i said, perhaps unclear, i'm running osx 10.7.4. i've tried connecting the sharp to the mac via a usb 2.0 a-male to b-male cable. when i send the print job, the print queue shows the job is processing (for about 11 minutes for a word v.2011 document), but nothing actually prints. i'm now wondering if this is a problem w/osx 10.7.4. i like the helim site btw.

Sep 19, 2012 2:42 PM in response to Rudegar

good point rudegar. i looked up the latest info from the gutenprint folks and found they do have an update for osx lion, so i grabbed it, used their uninstaller to wipe all previous printers and queues, installed the new gutenprint, added the printer back in, rebooted everything, and the mac definitely sees the printer on the usb port, but data still isn't getting to the printer. dude at gutenprint said the printer language from sharp is proprietary (SPLC) and that their drivers don't support it. i think i'll leave my quest here and start looking for a mac-compitable mfp. 😢

how do i connect a printer via ethernet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.