Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated to 10.8, now "no boot device" on Boot Camp partition

My Windows 7 (64-bit) installation was working fine before I updated. Anybody have this problem and know what's going on?

Thanks!

iMac, iPhone OS 3.1.3, other computers

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 10:53 PM

4 replies

Sep 20, 2012 2:55 AM in response to dalstott

Turns out that Mountain Lion dded invisible partitions that pushed Windows out of the first four. Windows won't boot if it's not in the first four. Had to wipe the machine and reconfigure with iPartition. It's ridiculous that Apple hasn't fixed this problem where you can't have more than one other partition with Boot Camp.

Thanks though.

Sep 20, 2012 7:05 AM in response to Stokestack

I knew this partitioning was a problem for some who upgraded to Lion but since I haven't gone to 10.8 yet I am forewarned. Did you upgrade from 10.7.x or 10.6.8? I ask because if you were already in Lion then the recovery partition should have already been in place. I think I will stick to "The hatter" procedure if I decide to go for Mountain Lion after the 10.8.3 update appears.

Here is "The hatter" procedure for your future reference

Upgrade to 10.7 or 10.8

Use a maintenance utility like Yasu or Cocktail to prepare existing internal Mac OSX partition.

Clone the internal Mac partition to an external HDD with SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Restart from the cloned external HDD and select it as the startup volume via System Preferences / Startup Disk.

Install 10.7 or 10.8 on the cloned external HDD replacing 10.6.8 or 10.7.x.

Install 10.7.x or 10.8.x updates on the external HDD

Restart the updated 10.7.x or 10.8.x external HDD and test and adjust the preferences if needed.

When satisfied, clone only the 10.7.x or 10.8.x external HDD back to the existing internal Mac HDD replacing 10.6.8 or 10.7.x but don't include the recovery partition.

The Boot Camp partition will not be altered as to drive id which appeared to cause problems for a few people.

The recovery partition will be on the ext HDD and can be used for trouble shooting. A more convenient way to have the recovery/reinstallation environment is to create a Lion or MLion install USB thumb drive.

Updated to 10.8, now "no boot device" on Boot Camp partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.