Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just got a Mac Pro and a Samsung SA950 3D 23" monitor?

I'm used to always using a Mac monitor where you can turn on your computer by pressing the power button on the monitor. I got off the phone with Samsung and they said their monitors will not turn the Mac Pro on. So is the only way to turn on my Mac Pro by pressing that button on the front of the Mac Pro tower? Is that ok for the machine to use this button regularly. Is it better to leave the computer on/asleep than to turn it on and off every day using this button. I always thought that button was in case there's a crash and you can't turn your computer off or on another way. Thanks, if you konw the answer to this question.

Paula

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Samsung SA950 23" monitor, HDMI cbl

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 11:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 10:13 AM

Only older Apple computers with ADC (Apple Display Connector) could be turned on by the power button on the display. You have to use the computer's power button now. Shutting down with the power button is a last resort but it is the intended way to start the computer. It will not wear out.

1 reply

I just got a Mac Pro and a Samsung SA950 3D 23" monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.