Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari keeps crashing on my iPad, especially on Facebook. Anyone else?

Anyone having safari constantly crashing, especially on Facebook and some games.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 5:37 AM

15 replies

Sep 19, 2012 5:41 AM in response to lindal2000

1. Double-click the Home button to close all Inactive Apps in Task Bar

2. Hold the Apps in Task Bar down for a second or two until you see the minus sign

3. Tap the minus sign to close Apps

4. Tap center of screen to return to Home Screen

5. Reset iPad. Hold the Sleep and Home button down for about 10 second until you see the Apple logo. Ignore the red slider

Nov 1, 2012 1:58 PM in response to lindal2000

Constantly, it began the moment I rebooted my iPad after upgrading it to ios 5; according to Apple just a coincidence. It has gotten even worse since Facebook changed to its current format. It has to do with how the os handles memory. I know of no fix except to either roll back to a previous ios which I have found to be impossible with my basic level of IT capability, or "hope" Apple fixes their ios (first they must acknowledge the problem).

Dec 4, 2012 3:08 PM in response to Ray Gibson

If you have the original iPad and you are running iOS 5.1.1, there might now be a whole lot that you can do about it. It seems that for some users, the update to iOS 5.1.1 wasn't kind to their iPads. I still have an original iPad running iOS 5.1.1 that my daughter uses now, it is running fine for her.

If you want to know about a couple of other good browsers, check out iCab Mobile, Mercury and Atomic .. As well as Chrome, Dolphin, Opera Mini and Bing for iPad. My personal favorite is iCab Mobile but I am using it on the iPad 3 running iOS 6.0.1. IMO - iOS 5.1.1 stretched the original iPad to its limits and I have seen a number of users reporting low memory issues with the original iPad and iOS 5.1.1.

If you haven't tried this for the issue with Safari, give it a shot.

Go to Settings>Safari>Clear History, Cookies and Data. Restart the iPad. Restart the iPad by holding down on the sleep button until the red slider appears and then slide to shut off. To power up hold the sleep button until the Apple logo appears and let go of the button.

BTW ... I assume that you are aware of the fact that there is a FaceBook app in the App Store.

Dec 5, 2012 11:31 AM in response to Demo

Sorry, that last reply was meant for linda.

Thanks demo, I note your advice. I have the 3rd gen iPad. Fb app was crap so ditched it straight away. I had mercury and chrome and both did the same crashing thing with fb so it's probably th fb website that's causing it. I was wondering if there might be a more robust browser that can cope with fb.

I've also tried the clear cache and quit apps approach to no avail. Strange thing is that looking through all the browser apps, and apps in general, apple seems to rate them more highly than the actual reviews suggest and many people have problems with websites crashing the browsers, even the paid for ones. So it's hard to know where to turn...

Dec 9, 2012 8:57 AM in response to lindal2000

I disabled JavaScript and it appeared to help with Facebook. The nice thing is it stopped all of the advertisements that normally appear on the right side of the page. The con of it is I had to turn JavaScript on just so I could reply to this post.

Here's a link to help out with the JavaScript: http://osxdaily.com/2012/01/29/fix-safari-crashing-on-ipad-and-ios-5/

Dec 22, 2012 10:11 AM in response to lindal2000

We have had this same problem on my wife's ioriginal ipad. Updated it, dumped all the caches, tried all of the advice above, including other browsers, none of it helped. In any browser, if she goes back to a few screens of postings, the ap crashes. The FB app has never worked on this ipad, despite OS upgrades. The FB ap crashes immediately upon launch every time, will not even run, despite the fact that it runs fine of two ipods and the nre mini. Tells me someone is not looking out for customers running the older hardware. FB does not care, apple must not care. What a **** shame, time was when apple devices lastd many years and were supported, no more I guess. Steve Jobs is rolling over in his grave!

Safari keeps crashing on my iPad, especially on Facebook. Anyone else?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.