Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad as college student

I am getting ready to go to college and right now I have a desktop (which I use all of the time) and a laptop that I won in a contest. It's a nice Dell, but I just don't use it since I have my desktop. I work from home so that's why I am on it so much and I also do gaming. I am thinking about swapping my laptop for an Ipad for college so that I can just buy my books on there, as well as take my notes, make documents, check my work email, etc. I am going to school for computer networking/programming if it changes anything, but I will do all of my big assignments on my desktop. Is there any big reason that I shouldn't use an Ipad over keeping my laptop for college? Carrying the laptop to class would be the only time I would use it, since it mostly sits here now.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 5:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 6:05 AM

Since you already have a desktop to rely on for "real" computing tasks, I see no reason to not get an iPad for class.

I would never recommend and iPad as an alternative to not having a computer for any college student, but all of the things that you say that you want to do - you can do on the iPad. As long as you remember that the iPad is not a full computer and it does have limitations, it should work for you - based on the information that you provided.

You could sell the laptop and put the money toward the purchase of an iPad.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2012 6:05 AM in response to matmattmatt

Since you already have a desktop to rely on for "real" computing tasks, I see no reason to not get an iPad for class.

I would never recommend and iPad as an alternative to not having a computer for any college student, but all of the things that you say that you want to do - you can do on the iPad. As long as you remember that the iPad is not a full computer and it does have limitations, it should work for you - based on the information that you provided.

You could sell the laptop and put the money toward the purchase of an iPad.

Sep 19, 2012 6:14 AM in response to Demo

Yeah, that is exactly what I am working on doing now. I just wanted to make sure that there isn't something huge that I am overlooking. Everything it seems like that I have thought of that I might need a computer for instead of an ipad, my desktop will fix. I know I might have to do some programming work in class itself, but they have computers in the classroom and you just use a flash drive to save your stuff. Doing the ebook thing vs actual books would help me not have to carry around huge books and allow me to make notes in them as well. I could always buy the keyboard if I needed it, but I don't think I would.

Sep 19, 2012 6:21 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Yep, I have already done that. There is nothing that would "force" me to go with laptop instead of ipad, would be whichever is more convenient or whichever that I prefer. I know the ipad battery is way better than laptop anyway, and not to mention the laptop size comparison, but it would be 10x easier to carry ipad around vs a laptop. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything in the "obvious" category that would limit me on the ipad for what I would be using it for.

Ipad as college student

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.