Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GB Versions and Mountain Lion

Before upgrading to Mountain Lion I asked my nearest Apple dealer if there would be any problems with GarageBand '09 after doing so and was told that there 'shouldn't be'. However, I find that most of my loops have disappeared and the Real & Software Instrument / Master Track dropdown windows are now blank. This presents three questions.

1: Would this material and information return and be usable in Mountain Lion if I re-installed GB '09 and all my loops?

2: If I upgraded to GB '11 would a re-install of my loop collection bring them all back?

3: If I upgrade will I still be able to work on material produced in GB '09?

I would appreciate any help, and apologise if these points have been raised elsewhere.

Mac OS X (10.5.8), 24" iMac, 17" MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 6:53 AM

6 replies

Sep 19, 2012 9:34 AM in response to Uxenden

How did you install Mt. Lion? Did you install it on top of your existing system or did you make a clean install?

If you installed on top of your previous sytem, your loops and instruments should still be in your System Library. Check, if you see the loops in the folder

Your Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Apple Loops > Apple

If the loops are there, rebuild the Loops Index, as described in this Support article:

Rebuilding the Loops Index

But if the Loops are missing, restore these folders from your backup and then reindex the loops as above, or reinstall GarageBand.

Your instruments and templates should be in

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/

You may need to restore these folders from your backup as well, or a reinstall should fix it.

if you need to reinstall, I'd suggest to upgrade to GB '11, if you want the better integration with iCloud.

Regards

Léonie

Sep 19, 2012 12:47 PM in response to léonie

Yes, I installed Mountain Lion on top of Lion. Thanks for your advice about finding and re-indexing my loops, which I have now done on my iMac. However, this hasn't solved the problem of the blank window below the Real & Software Instrument / Master Track tabs. As I write this I am downloading the latest version of GB to my laptop to see how it looks and performs. If everything seems to be in place (and no blank window below those tabls) I will then download it to my iMac. I'm hoping that the loops will magically appear in the new version without intervention from me, but if it's just a case of missing loops I imagine I will then be able to follow the re-indexing procedure already used even though it's a newer version of GB - is that right?

Sep 19, 2012 1:15 PM in response to Uxenden

The newest version of GarageBand does not download and install all loops at once. After the first install half of the loops should reappear on your iMac - the others may be grayed out. If that happens, click them , and GB should offer to download the missing loops.

Do you have any JamPacks installed? The loops from the JamPacks will not be reinstalled with the GB '11 installation.

Could you restore the Instrumets Library?

Sep 19, 2012 2:46 PM in response to léonie

It seems that all the loops were installed on downloading GB '11 to my laptop, including the several JamPacks that I use. Can you tell me if this means that my instrument library is also fully installed? If not, I'm not sure where that library is situated and would be glad to be pointed in the right direction.

I have a very sporadic internet connection tonight. It keeps going off for no reason that I can identify, so it's amazing that the GB download was completed. But that's by-the by.

Sep 19, 2012 3:19 PM in response to Uxenden

The instrument Library is in the System Library, just like the loops, but in the Application Support folder:

Your Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > GarageBand > Instrument Library

Can you tell me if this means that my instrument library is also fully installed?

You will notice, if instruments are missing, if you try the different software instrument loops from te loop browser.

I have a very sporadic internet connection tonight. It keeps going off for no reason that I can identify,

Tonight is so many new software out : IOS 6, iPhoto, MacOS 10.8.2, Aperture , XCode - everybody is downloading .... Me too!

GB Versions and Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.