Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I send click to headphones and backing track to front of house, using Logic Pro & Apogee Duet 2?

How do I send click to headphones and backing track to front of house, using Logic Pro & Apogee Duet 2?

Basically what it says in the question! I want to run a project file in Logic, sending the backing track + click to headphones for the drummer, and just the backing track to front of house.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 9:39 AM

You'll need to run the click track through the heaphone outs on a Duet.

The best way to do this is to make the click track into a seperate audio file that runs alongside your backing track and just send that through the Apogee to the headphone out.

Unfortuantely I don't have a Duet 2 here to show you the specifics.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2012 9:39 AM in response to StevieNeale

You'll need to run the click track through the heaphone outs on a Duet.

The best way to do this is to make the click track into a seperate audio file that runs alongside your backing track and just send that through the Apogee to the headphone out.

Unfortuantely I don't have a Duet 2 here to show you the specifics.

Sep 19, 2012 1:50 PM in response to bill borez

Ah ok. thanks for the reply. I have worked out how to send an audio track (acting as click track) to headphones only and everything else to speakers (changed output to Out 3-4 on the selected track and toggle source out 3-4 on duet). But I need to be able to hear the click AND the rest of the song in my headphones, not just the click alone. Do you know how I would do this? Any help much appreciated, need to sort this as soon as possible aahh
thanks

Sep 19, 2012 2:15 PM in response to StevieNeale

Ah ok i have figured out a way of doing it... theres gotta be an easier way than this though....

I've duplicated every audio track so there's 2 identicals of each, setting one to stereo output and other one to output 3-4, so that one is going to speakers and one is going to headphones. I have done this with every track apart from the click, which i haven't duplicated and have only set the output to 3-4, sending to headphones only.

Works... but is this all a bit too much info for Logic to hold, I'll be ****** if we're mid performance and Logic says system overload....

is there a simpler way?

Sep 19, 2012 3:36 PM in response to StevieNeale

I would create two busses.

Route the output of bus 1 to 'stereo output' and the output of bus 2 to 'output 3-4'.

Set all audio tracks and the click to 'no output'.

Send all the audio tracks to bus 1. Also send all audio tracks to bus 2.

Send the click track to bus 2 only.

This way there will be no duplicated audio track.

Hope that makes sense.

Sep 20, 2012 12:38 AM in response to StevieNeale

Yes, what I do with the eledctronic bands I engineer is to send the stereo to a DI box on stage and take a thru ( most DI's have them ) from that DI back to the drummer ( the drummers I work with use in-ears though and have their own mixer on stage to balance their levels ) as I said though always running a printed click as a seperate audio file back to the drummer too.

Do not use Logics internal metrenome as a click for live shows.

Here's why:

1. The drummer can count-in the band properly if you give him four beats of just click before every song starts.
  2. The gaps between the tracks will still continue to play a click if you're using the intenal metrenome and the drummer ( and band ) will have no clue when the next song is coming in.
  3. You don't need to program tempo changes if the click is locked to every track. ( only if you're not triggering other sequencers and computers via midi, otherwise it obviously needs to be locked to tempo )
  4. You can rearrange your set on the fly by stopping the set and roughly umping between tracks with the playhead before the count-in and still know where you're coming in.

Also remember that if you're performing with a Macbook you need to make sure SMS ( Sudden Motion Sensor ) is turned off or your MacBook may/will stop Logic playing mid song i.e. a disaster.

Believe me I've seen bands have absolute nightmares by not doing this as the vibration from monitors, sidefills and subs makes SMS kick in which makes any hard disk park its heads which, in turn, stops logic dead in its tracks. I could tell you a funny/tragic story about this happening continuously trough a show in front of 35,000 people, but this is not the place.

A solid state drive can obviously solve this issue, but here's a walkthrough on how to turn it off anyway:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1935

Oh and last but not least.... DON'T PANIC!!

😉

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.