Skip navigation

Ever since upgrading to 10.8, Safari freezes the iMac once a day

1530 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2012 12:29 PM by Bmachine RSS
Bmachine Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 19, 2012 8:56 AM

I've got a real strange (and frustrating) issue.  Hopefully someone can help.

I've always liked Safari and it has always performed well.  But ever since I upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion, Safari will freeze the computer about once a day.  I cannot find a specific repeatable action.  But this morning, it happened when I was filling out a Godaddy customer survey.  Clicking radio buttons.  But other times, it will be doing something else.  Symptoms are always the same:  The mouse keeps moving normally but I cannot click on anything.  The computer does not respond to anything on the keyboard.  The only way to get out of it is to press and hold the power button.

Today I only had one window and one tab open in Safari.  The computer had been restarted (after a similar crash) yesterday and I only had Photoshop cs6, Notes, TextEdit and Mail opened.  So there should have been plenty of RAM free. My internal HD has 500 gigs available so plenty of room there.

I do not have any added extensions or plugins for Safari or for the system.  It's all pretty stock.

iMac 24-inch Mid 2007

Processor  2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory  6 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Software  OS X 10.8.1 (12B19)

Safari Version 6.0 (8536.25)

I've checked on this board but have not found anything that helps in my case.  This is not the "Safari is slow to open pages" issue.  I've been using Macs for 20 years and this is really the first time I have had a consistent crash situation.  Things are usually pretty bulletproof here.  My 2007 MacBook Pro 13 works flawlessly with the same sofware configuration.

Thank you for any hellp at all.

Bo

Safari, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)
  • Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (107,850 points)

The next time you have the problem, note the exact times when it starts and ends: hour, minute, second.

If you have more than one user account, these instructions must be carried out as an administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the page that opens.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left.

Scroll back in the log to the time you noted above. Post any messages timestamped during that interval – the text, please, not a screenshot.

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

PLEASE DO NOT INDISCRIMINATELY DUMP THOUSANDS OF LINES FROM THE LOG INTO A MESSAGE. If you do that, I will not respond.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Edit it out by search-and-replace in a text editor before posting.

You have at least two different configuration issues, though I can't say whether either of them is causing the symptom.

One is the incompatible plugin at

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/DVCPROHDAudio.plugin

Remove it, or install an updated version that works.

The other problem is in your home folder.

Back up all data now.

This procedure will unlock all your user files (not system files) and reset their ownership and access-control lists to the default. If you've set special values for those attributes on any of your files, they will be reverted. In that case, either stop here, or be prepared to recreate the settings if necessary. If none of this is meaningful to you, you don't need to worry about it.

Step 1

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the page that opens.

Drag or copy — do not type — the following line into the Terminal window, then press return:

sudo chflags -R nouchg,nouappnd ~ $TMPDIR.. ; sudo chown -R $UID:20 ~ $_ ; chmod -R -N ~ $_ 2> /dev/null

Be sure to select the whole line by triple-clicking anywhere in it. You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning not to screw up. You don't need to post the warning. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command.

The command will take a noticeable amount of time to run. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign (“$”) to appear, then quit Terminal.

Step 2

Boot into Recovery by holding down the key combination command-R at startup. Release the keys when you see a gray screen with a spinning dial.

When the OS X Utilities screen appears, select Utilities Terminal from the menu bar. A text window opens.

In the Terminal window, type this:

resetpassword

That's one word with no spaces. Then press return. A Reset Password window opens. You’re not going to reset a password.

Select your boot volume if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Under Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs, click the Reset button.

Select  Restart from the menu bar.

The permission errors in the log extract.

Does this log help narrow down the problem by any chance?

No.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.