Previous 1 2 3 Next 160 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2013 5:49 AM by escottr
yerodtr Level 1 (0 points)

I moved to iOS 6 and when my phone came up it could not connect to my home network. I did the following on the phone:

 

- Updated phone to iOS 6 from 5.1.1

- I thought maybe the network settings were messed up so I "forgot" the network and tried again, no luck.

- Reset all network settings, no luck.

- Full restore of iOS 6 and setup as a new phone (no data/apps/etc restored), no luck.

- Removed all encryption on my access point, no luck.

 

So I then setup a spare access point I had and the iPhone connected right away (even with the same SSID and encryption as my normal home access point). This indicates an incompatibility between iOS 6 and my access point.

 

It is not an encryption issue, because it can connect to an open, WEP, and WPA2 configuration on my spare access point without a problem. It can even connect to my Mini that is performing Internet Sharing.

 

The  access point is a Netgear WG102 and before iOS 6  my iPhone 4S worked great on it. I also have an old 2gen iPod Touch, 1st gen iPad, Macbook Air, Mac Mini, etc, etc, etc on the access point with no issues. It's just my iPhone and iOS 6 that can't connect to it.

 

I did the following to the access point:

 

- running latest/greatest firmware

- changed RTS threshold, Frag length, Beacon Interval, DTIM interval, etc,  with no luck.

- enabled WMM with no luck (which I saw fixed someone elses issue with a beta version of iOS 6 and their iPad)

- hard/factory reset of the access point (phone can't connect to the default and wide open "Netgear" SSID when it comes up)

 

The phone works on all other access points that I have tried outside my house.

 

Any thoughts?


iPhone 4S, iOS 6
  • mikesullakasully Level 1 (10 points)

    What if any errors are you getting? Can your phone at least see the access point?

  • yerodtr Level 1 (0 points)

    mikesullakasully wrote:

     

    What if any errors are you getting? Can your phone at least see the access point?

     

    An immediate "cannot connect to network" error message. Yes, it sees all networks/SSIDs perfectly.

  • mikesullakasully Level 1 (10 points)

    I don't have any solid ideas, but try these things: Reboot the phone. Try a differnt SSID. Make sure you have no firewall rules set up or MAC address filters set that could be blocking the phone. Try manualy entering the network info in, by clicking "other".

  • mikesullakasully Level 1 (10 points)

    Also try on your phone:

    Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

  • yerodtr Level 1 (0 points)

    mikesullakasully wrote:

     

    I don't have any solid ideas, but try these things: Reboot the phone. Try a differnt SSID. Make sure you have no firewall rules set up or MAC address filters set that could be blocking the phone. Try manualy entering the network info in, by clicking "other".

     

     

    Thank you for your ideas, but all of your suggestions have been addressed/tried already as detailed above.

  • ron245 Level 2 (285 points)

    try powering off the ap and phone wait a minute power both back up

  • yerodtr Level 1 (0 points)

    ron245 wrote:

     

    try powering off the ap and phone wait a minute power both back up

     

    The WAP has been rebooted, powered off and set back to factory settings numerous times already (same with the phone).

  • mikesullakasully Level 1 (10 points)

    Did some digging on your router. I see it's an older G band router. And apple recommends: "Routers that only support 802.11g should be put in 802.11b/g mode, while those that  support only 802.11b can be left in 802.11b mode."  Try switching the router to B only and see what happens.

     

    Also, the spare access point you were able to connect to, what bands/frequencies does that one have? (a/b/g/n - 2.4 and/or 5 Ghz)?

  • yerodtr Level 1 (0 points)

    mikesullakasully wrote:

     

    Did some digging on your router. I see it's an older G band router. And apple recommends: "Routers that only support 802.11g should be put in 802.11b/g mode, while those that  support only 802.11b can be left in 802.11b mode."  Try switching the router to B only and see what happens.

     

    Also, the spare access point you were able to connect to, what bands/frequencies does that one have? (a/b/g/n - 2.4 and/or 5 Ghz)?

     

    Hmmm, not wild about going down to B only here, that will really slow everyone else down. I will have to try that later.

     

    The other router was a Linksys WRT54GL (B/G 2.4GHz) running DD-WRT firwmare.

  • mikesullakasully Level 1 (10 points)

    ALSO - there is a new feature in iOS 6 that I heard maybe a little buggy yet, Wifi sync. Try turning this off and see what happens.  http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/08/09/apples_wi_fi_plus_cellular_option_in_i os_6_to_keep_apps_syncing_when_wifi_networks_choke.html

  • carlmcl Level 1 (0 points)

    I know this isn't much help, but my office has the same NetGear WAG 102 and those of us that updated to iOS 6 have the same issue. We've tried everything you did and the WMM settings that some in the Betas had luck with but we cannot get it to work here either.

  • yerodtr Level 1 (0 points)

    carlmcl wrote:

     

    I know this isn't much help, but my office has the same NetGear WAG 102 and those of us that updated to iOS 6 have the same issue. We've tried everything you did and the WMM settings that some in the Betas had luck with but we cannot get it to work here either.

     

    Thanks, although not a solution at the moment, it is a GOOD thing to know others are having this issue and bring attention to the matter.

  • ChuanStone Level 1 (0 points)

    I am encountering the same problem on my iPhone 4 and new iPad with iOS6. I am using Medialink Wireless N Router - 802.11n.

  • ARWillett Level 2 (185 points)

    Go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings.  Should be good after that.

Previous 1 2 3 Next