Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do not disturb feature

Does this apply to emails coming in as well or will I still have to switch off sounds during the do not disturb hours

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 12:34 PM

27 replies

Sep 20, 2012 12:25 AM in response to JoergSi

I have the same issue. I expected the feature to allow me to automatically, on a schedule, stop alerts from apps like email.

It's one of my greatest frustrations with apple/iOS that they don't seem to understand at some times of day I might want to hear a phone call and not hear an email arriving or someone sending a Facebook message. Although the random behaviour of the podcast app is coming a close second.

Sep 20, 2012 12:36 AM in response to ise

Oh... This is a little more clever than I realised. It seems to work exactly like I expected with one vital difference. The difference is that it only works in locked mode. If your device is locked then you don't get alerts. That's quite clever!

I really don't understand why it's taken so long to add this feature. If not in the first version of iOS it really was all possible once notification centre was added.

Podcasts are still a nightmare though :-)

Sep 20, 2012 1:55 AM in response to JoergSi

Surely it does? If I'm sat using my iPad I can use the mute button when I want. When I'm not using the iPad I want it do the right thing without me using buttons or needing to remember to use the button.

There's a difference between periods I don't want to be disturbed because I'm doing something else, talking to people, in a meeting etc and the times I don't want to be disturbed that I know in advance like being asleep in bed.

That said, it really wouldn't hurt to add an option of course. There's also an argument that audible alerts are only ever of use in lock screen of course as when you're using a device you'll see banners or alerts anyway.

Apple are really late to allowing this to be configured.

Sep 20, 2012 7:46 AM in response to Clingpeach

This does me absolutely ZERO good when I'm sitting in a meeting with my iPad and I dont want notifications while I'm using my iPad. Seems like they put no thought in to this feature. I USE my device. I need my features to work while I'm using it. This feature should behave just as it does on Mountain Lion. What good would "Do Not Disturb" be on my MacBook if it only worked while it was sleeping or while the screen saver was on? Back to using silent and airplane mode. The list of disappointments with iOS 6 continues to grow.

Do not disturb feature

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.