Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software update won't show updates

I have a Mac Pro early 2008, a Mac Mini and and a Macbook Pro. All are running 10.8.1 (as I'm writing this, two of them are being updated to 10.8.2).

The problem is with Software Update. The other two machines work fine, but the Mac Pro will not find any updates. The App Store application always says there are no updates available. But:

- software update control panel says there are. When I click to download them, it opens App Store, which says there are no updates.

- software update run from the terminal (softwareupdate -l) shows updates and is able to download them

So there are updates and the can be downloaded, but App Store application will not list any.

I've tried to disable Little Snitch, but it didn't help. All the computers here are on the same network, so the problem should't be in router settings. Note that App Store does not say server can't be reached - it says there are no updates.

Console shows nothing.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 1:22 PM

I have the same problem. Updates show up as a notification, and then never actually show up when the App Store update panel loads. Seems to be a bigger issue with OS updates than individual apps, which usually update just fine.

15 replies

Dec 16, 2012 9:50 AM in response to aldoofbanga

My new 2012 Mac Mini came with 10.8.1. Software update was not able to find the update to 10.8.2, so I downloaded the specfic 10.8.2 installer for Fall 2012 Macs (which was later pulled by Apple from the downloads page for unknown reasons.).

Really, the only software update that the App Store ever found was an iPhoto update that couldn't be installed because it requred 10.8.2, which couldn't be installed either (until I found the specific 2012 Mac Mini 10.8.2 installer).

I am running Lion and Snow Leopard on 4 other Macs and never had a problem with updartes, since they don't use the App Store for updates.

Dec 16, 2012 10:25 PM in response to Flying Pelican

I will try using an alternative user ID. Still not a great solution as it would not be able to do updates for software purchased under my primary ID. Interesting this fixed the issue for you, Flying Pelican - suggests the problem is Apple server related.

I don't mind doing manual updates but how do I even know which updates are applicable to every Apple component on my system. I guess this must not be impact too many users or surely Apple would have done something about it.

Software update won't show updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.