Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What idiot removed Save As?

Am I missing something? Did Apple move into another world and decide that we're all dumber than they are and that we no longer need to take an existing document and save it as something else? I had a page I use as my company letterhead that I just open, save as another name and use for typing our letters. However, Apple now has removed the ability to do this and now forces me to go to the OS to make a copy of the file before I come back to pages to open it. Do they not know that ALL SOFTWARE IN THE WORLD has a save as in it for things like this?

I hate programmers that don't think before they write code!

Glenn

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion, 16gb RAM 512MB HD

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 1:32 PM

Save As was removed in Lion but has made a return in Mountain Lion. You do have to hold down the Option/alt key while clicking the File menu for it to appear. There is also a keyboard shortcut.

User uploaded file

11 replies

Sep 21, 2012 4:15 AM in response to cybercrypt13

The keyboard shortcut worked for me so Thanks 🙂, but it should be in the File menu all the time and not hidden. 10.8.2 update has apparently restored a save as type function but I can't find it. Read the following article http://tidbits.com/article/13284 which shows it working in simple text. However it doesn't seem to follow in Pages and haven't had stomach to face the dissapointment in numbers. I'd like to know the name of the idiot who messed up the whole Save As finctionality as well. Could it be Craig Federighi the head of software engineering at apple? Is there anyway to un-hide Save as so we don't have to use the alt key?

Second option of course is to forget iWork all together and use Microsoft Office. I never thought I'd ever hear myself saying that but there you go.

Sep 24, 2012 5:06 AM in response to Smartmart

Save As now seems to work as it should and did in the good old days, as long as you know to press the option key to bring it up in the sub menu. Out of interest, I haven't seen the “Keep changes in original document.” checkbox in any app as mentioned in the 10.8.2 update notes and the tidbits article that I posted earlier. Was it planned originally then ditched in favour of simply restoring "Save As" as it was pre-Lion?

Sep 24, 2012 7:20 PM in response to Peggy

Sorry but I have latest update and nothing at all has changed. When I click file and press option key I get no save as or anything like it.

Where in control panel do you turn off the auto save crap? Maybe I have something disabled somewhere that is causing my problem? Why do you have to take something so awesome as OSX and do something so stupid just in the sake of change?

What idiot removed Save As?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.