Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete iPhone backup

I was attempting to backup my iPhone 4s before installing iOS 6 and after downloading the update and attempting to update my iPhone, I got an error message that stated: "iTunes could not back up the iPhone " .......iPhone 4S" because the backup was corrupt or not compatible with the iPhone. Delete the backup for this iPhone, then try again." How do I delete the back up already on my computer?

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 2:06 PM

21 replies

Jan 22, 2013 8:27 PM in response to tryanapple

I got this tip from 'BK' here: http://appletoolbox.com/2012/04/iphone-could-not-backup-because-backup-file-was- corrupt-or-not-compatible-fix/

'In case anyone else is running into this problem and the steps above do not help you.

I was receiving the same message and after days of fruitless Googling, I noticed that I did not even *have* a directly called %APPDATA%\Apple Computer\MobileSync\backup.

I created the folder structure and everything starting working.

Note to the previous poster who wanted more specifics
 To find the folder you need, right click on the Start button and choose “Open Windows Explorer”.

In the address bar at the top, click and type %APPDATA% (with the percent signs) and hit enter. This will open some folder–typically C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming on Windows 7, but could be somewhere else depending what version of Windows you have and your particular setup.

Then open “Apple Computer”. If “MobileSync” does not exist as a folder, create it (“New Folder” and give it the name “MobileSync”). Open the MobileSync folder. If “backup” does not exist as a folder, create it, then open it.

Unless you just had to create the folders in the last step (in which case you are probably all set), you will find one or more folders in here containing your backups. Delete these (or move them somewhere else as a safety precaution, then restart iTunes, reconnect your device, and hopefully you will be all set.'

Worked like a charm!

Mar 20, 2013 6:11 PM in response to tryanapple

iTunes could not backup the iPhone because the backup was corrupt or not compatible with the iPhone OR backup session failed.

To fix this problem, simply delete your corrupt backup files by opening iTunes Preferences ( Windows: Choose Edit > Preferences; Mac: Choose iTunes > Preferences), there Select the Devices tab, then select your backup and delete it, then try the backup again.

Delete iPhone backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.